Flat Horse

Bar the Bull

At the Start
If you could own any one horse for the flat season ahead, who would it be?

I will go for Peeping Fawn. She gave me a lot of enjoyment last year, and is everything a filly should be; she's adaptable, tough and keeps her form throughout a long season.

Originally posted by Charlie D@Mar 19 2008, 11:17 AM
King George winner, Arc winner and The Top ranked horse of 2008 Soldier of Fortune
Charlie,

Do you not feel he had his chance in the Arc and simply wasn't good enough?

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley+Mar 19 2008, 12:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andrew Hurley @ Mar 19 2008, 12:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Charlie D@Mar 19 2008, 11:17 AM
King George winner, Arc winner and The Top ranked horse of 2008 Soldier of Fortune
Charlie,

Do you not feel he had his chance in the Arc and simply wasn't good enough? [/b][/quote]
Not sure about him being Champion horse etc but Soldier Of Fortune looked in bad condition before the Arc. His coat was gone, poor condition and he was sweating up. Looked a horse gone well over the top to me which may have been the result of an unusually tough prep in the Niel.

Originally posted by Galileo+Mar 19 2008, 11:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Galileo @ Mar 19 2008, 11:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Andrew Hurley@Mar 19 2008, 12:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Charlie D
@Mar 19 2008, 11:17 AM
King George winner, Arc winner and  The Top ranked  horse of 2008 Soldier of Fortune

Charlie,

Not sure about him being Champion horse etc but Soldier Of Fortune looked in bad condition before the Arc. His coat was gone, poor condition and he was sweating up. Looked a horse gone well over the top to me which may have been the result of an unusually tough prep in the Niel. [/b][/quote]
Still ran damn well against a pace bias.

What pace bias?

I wouldn't say he ran well. It was a very, very poor Arc, and SoF was well beaten by the likes of Sagara and Youmzain.

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley@Mar 19 2008, 11:37 AM

NO

The Neil performance, then the quick return, getting draw in to going quick early, all resulted in him running about a half a stone below his best imo

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley@Mar 19 2008, 12:58 PM
What pace bias?

I wouldn't say he ran well. It was a very, very poor Arc, and SoF was well beaten by the likes of Sagara and Youmzain.
The race was run at a strong pace, benefitting those who were held up.

From the in running comments:

1. Dylan Thomas: held up
2. Youmzain: held up
3. Sagara: held up
4. Getaway: held up
5. Soldier of Fortune: prominent

Around 2 1/4 lengths covered those 5. The next horse, Saddex - who also ran prominently - was a full 4 lengths further back.

The only horse who was held up and didn't finish in the first 4 was Authorized, who obviously didn't run his race.

I'm not saying he would have won, btw, just that his performance deserves a bit of extra credit.

Andrew

From Arc thread 2007

Thought i'd post these as i find P Bary's comments on Mordins website and Gareth comments interesting, plus some may knock the Neil because of Sagara's finishing position

raw figure

Soldier of Fortune - Neil 126

Comparison

Rail Link - Arc 123
Hurricane Run - Arc 123

Interesting that the numbers say the first three in this years Neil have run as good or better than the previous two Arc winners

As you can probably see, Sagara was not the back number many thought

Nothing wrong with Pawan [the horse!] ... You're not the only one :rolleyes:

PS Who is this Saddlers Wells of whom you speak Del Boy :what: :P

Originally posted by Headstrong@Mar 19 2008, 06:57 PM
Nothing wrong with Pawan [the horse!] ... You're not the only one :rolleyes:

PS Who is this Saddlers Wells of whom you speak Del Boy :what: :P
Hunter chaser that i think should be watched in the future....The people that have him will soon be done with him and i think he is a horse to watch!

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Mar 19 2008, 10:08 AM
I will go for Peeping Fawn. She gave me a lot of enjoyment last year, and is everything a filly should be; she's adaptable, tough and keeps her form throughout a long season.
I will try her half-brother. Thewayyouare

Much as i love FB and admire Peeping Fawn i have to go with a three year old. I`ll take a chance on Natagora not being too precocious. She looked so pacy in the Cheveley that i fear she wont last home in the 1000 (took 16s in the winter anyway) but either way she`ll surely win a decent prize or three.

Back