Foals 2008

crazyhorse

At the Start
Should be in the photo section, but as I myself always forget to look there, will start the thread here; anyway, this is one to smile as it is

"Bruno"

born 1st of feb (photo taken sunday) - by Bernie out of Tinka, the foster mare on Fährhof Stud (hope you all read the nice article in the new Pacemaker!) :

DSC_0088-1.jpg

DSC_0090-2.jpg

Thanks for that crazyhorse! Sorry if I missed it before but why is he fostered? Something happen to the mare?

No - she (his dam) is the Foster mare on Färhhof for emergency (is that how you spell it?) cases on the stud. As I said on other Forum, I have never ever seen such udder in my life !! If some thoroughbred foal loses its mum, Tinka will take it "over" and feed it too (every stud has a different policy with her own foal, but on Fährhof I have seen her having two foals, as she really has enough milk anyway; sometimes her own foal will be taken away, well, and bottle-fed on Fährhof at least) - but he is a little cutie, isnt he ?

If that's a thoroughbred, I can speak German fluently!!!

Which I can't!!!!

I think, Gal, you'll find that foster mares have to have foals of their own before they can be used as... well, foster mares!!

So presumably Tinka has been bred early just in case she's needed. I'm not sure what happens to Bruno is she is, presumably he'll be reared via the bucket by then??

Ooops, posts crossed there!

And on some 'nasty' studs, Gal, the top mares foal, their foals are put on to foster mares and the mares are sent off to wherever they're next being covered (usually the US), as it's 'safer' for the foal....

No surely its a Tinker (that how we call them in Germany at least! ) sorry to confuse you!

Two thoroughbred foals have been born on the stud so far too, though:

this is a little Lomitas-filly, already born on the 18th of jan., the dam is by In the Wings and a sister to Hamond:

DSC_0030-1.jpg

and this is a very fresh Black Sam Bellamy, born on the 30th of jan, the dam is by Zilzal and a daughter of dual classic winner Comprida:

DSC_0027.jpg

Originally posted by Songsheet@Feb 5 2008, 01:27 PM
Ooops, posts crossed there!

And on some 'nasty' studs, Gal, the top mares foal, their foals are put on to foster mares and the mares are sent off to wherever they're next being covered (usually the US), as it's 'safer' for the foal....
Yes I have heard of one Irish Stud that has apparently about 50 Foster mares :what:

and sure enough all the Foster foals are looked after .... well, who ever believes that .... shrug::

Well, I saw 'em!

There's money to be made with foster mares - I think the going rate now is around £2,500 to 'rent' a foster mare for the season.....

Ouija Board delivers first foal

Lord Derby’s Champion racemare Ouija Board is reportedly in good shape following her first foaling in which she delivered a bay colt by Kingmambo at her owner Lord Derby’s Stanley House Stud in Newmarket.

Not sure I like the idea of those foals in boxes with bars.

Knowing how these things happens I can see a foal's legs getting through the bars and well you know that ###### happens.

Would agree with you there, Colin but maybe they're actually narrower than they appear from the photo - Cat, can you enlighten please?

I really like the Amercian Barn system and have used it twice now and 90% of the time the system works well with the type of box with solid partitions to about 4' and galvanised bars above. The only time it gives problems is when a newcomer arrives and there's a bit of argy bargy from their next door neighbour and again, my foaling box is in the corner with a completely solid wall to one side but with a 'normal' partition on the other. I do usually move the next door mare as it can upset the foaling mare having another mare too close.

Always amazes me how different mares are to calving cows, who usually couldn't give a toss if another cow comes up to inspect how she's getting on - even during birth - and it's pretty commonplace to find several cows inspecting the new arrival as it totters about!

Great news about OUIJA BOARD - bet the Stud Groom was nervous about that foaling!!

Ouija Board delivers first foal

OUIJA BOARD
Hong Kong Jockey Club photo
by Tony Smurthwaite

Two-time Eclipse Award winner Ouija Board (GB) delivered her first foal on February 9, producing a bay colt by Kingmambo.

The seven-year-old Cape Cross (Ire) mare gave birth Saturday evening in Newmarket, England, at Lord Derby's Stanley House Stud.

"She has given birth to a colt foal with markings exactly like his mum," said Peter Stanley, manager at Stanley House and brother to Lord Derby. "We are very pleased, and both mum and foal are happy and healthy."

Ouija Board won two classics in Europe and was a two-time winner of the Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf (G1), at Lone Star Park in 2004 and Churchill Downs in '06, seasons in which she took champion turf female honors in the United States.

She is due to be covered by Monsun, who stands at Gestut Schlenderhan in Germany.

Our first local foal here in Devon, a Verglas filly out of Harlem Dancer. Foaled Saturday night just after we returned from a point to point! Harlem must have been waiting for her owner to get home!

Hooray, a colt for Pride & Galileo! :)

Here is a foal I will be very interested to see on the track one day. Or at the sales for that matter! From the Racing Post -

PRIDE, winner of the Group 1 Champion Stakes, gave birth to a colt foal by Galileo on Tuesday night at Willingham House Stud in Newmarket. The bay colt is the first foal for the daughter of Peintre Celebre, who now visits Dansili.

Owned by Sven Hanson's NP Bloodstock, Pride won a maiden in Britain before enjoying a lucrative career in France in the care of Alain de Royer-Dupre.

After winning several Group 2 races, including the Prix Foy, Pride broke through at Group 1 level when beating Hurricane Run in the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud. Following her Champion Stakes triumph, she signed off her career with a head victory over Admire Moon in the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Cup.

Pride is the best performer out of the Alleged mare Specificity, ahalf-sister to the dam of the 1,000 Guineas winner Speciosa.

Back