Foolin Myself

Pentire

At the Start
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any news on the Barry Hills trained colt who beat Tartan Bearer last season at Newmarket? I thought he too may turn out to be a classic contender and indeed held an entry for the Dante, but have heard nor seen anything of him since? :confused:

Damn I could have asked if I'd known Saturday - if I see Charlie Hills around again before I leave Lambourn I'll enquire, ditto next time I bump into someone from the yard which may be a week or two now

Hills' HL used to go in the Lamb quite a bit - he's a fantastic guitarist! - but that's all boarded up...
so can't go and find him there!

Weird goings-on in fact with the Lambourn pubs right now, Lamb shut, the Swan has reopened at last after being totally flooded last year down at Great Shefford, but the Queen's Head at East Garston is still shut! It seems the new owners started massive rebuilding without permissions... And the Pheasant still has the builders in but at least it's functioning, the new dining room is open and the bedrooms won't be long now

But back to the horse - the best thing is to email Hills - most yards are very helpful

info@barryhills.com

Let us know if you find out!

Last edited:
It very much looks like the horse picked up some kinf of injury - he was entered up at Chester at the five day stage in May then disappeared off the map altogether, being taken out of the Derby at the next forfeit stage after Chester. He's one I've been looking out for too and had backed for the Derby, I'd be interested to hear what happened to him as well although it does look very much like he was nearly ready to run before picking up some kind of injury going on what we know.

Cheers for that Ali - it did look like he'd picked up an injury days before Chester. Shouldn't be any reason for him not to come back after doing a pelvis though - they're rarely complicated and tend to heal well, and quickly, usually having little effect on the horse's future soundness.

In fact thinking about it, assuming he did it around Chester time, he should have been fine to start being ridden again a few weeks ago. I hope they do persevere with him, it's generally a very straightforward injury to recover from.

Thanks for the help guys. It is a real shame he picked up the injury as we all know how good his form is looking from last season. He is bred to improve with age anyway, so if he heals up well, the best is yet to come.

I have always been a big follower of Bill Gredley's horses since the 80's and loved Enviroment Friend and User Friendly who were terrific mares. He hasn't had much luck in the past few years, but hopefully it was just a temporary lull and he'll come good again soon.

I think he now has David Lanigan among his trainers (trains Hellzapoppin who was with BWH last season, but has turned out to be moderate) and also has been giving a few horses to Michael Bell these past few years.

For those of you interested, Foolin Myself has a half sister (not sure with whom) called BE GREEN (ch f Haafhd - Friendlier) who can hopefully achieve success soon.

I hope you don't mind me bumping this back up and it is early in the year but does anybody have any news on him?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for taking so long with this.

Foolin Myself is in training with Michael Bell and has been steadily coming along since he joined the yard at the start of the month. He has had a lot of problems hence why he never ran last season but he has come back into work doing okay. Doing no more than an upsides canter on Saturday morning he moved okay with a lovely 4yo colt who has form which is not far off a group horse. Foolin Myself has done well and will be campaigned over 10f this season. If he keeps progressing he should have at least a couple of handicaps in him.

Last edited:
Back