French Derby

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
G

Gearoid

Cape Blanco was cut from 9/2f to a general 3/1f after Workforce romped home. He is as short as 5/2 in places. With 20+ runners he looks very short.

Indeed - if you think that Workforce was treating the Dante strictly as a prep run then 3/1 in a 23 horse field looks very short.

Gone for a bit of value myself in the shape of Royal Bench who was a very impressive victor of his sole start thus far at 3 (1m conditions race by 8 lengths) in a time that compares favourably with the fillies equivalent (Anna Salai was runner-up in it) and the Mile Handicap for older horses run on the card. He was pulled out of the French Guineas on the day of the race so has been saved for this and has the benefit of Ioritz Mendizabal in the saddle. I expect him to go close and also Shamalgan the Czech horse - how he is a 40/1 shot coming off a strong finishing second in the French Guineas (when coming from well off the pace) is beyond me.

And the best thing is I can only see him getting shorter. Will be completely overbet tomorrow.

Dissapointed that Elusive Pimpernel misses this; absolutely made for 10f.

My impression of the Poulains was that they went off too hard early and played right into the hands of those ridden from well off the pace. That said, it's slightly hard to believe that the Poulains winner is 14's for the Jockey-Club. Possibly indicative of an exceptional renewal?

I cant have this as an exceptional renewal when a bit like Epson today so many runners have questions to answer. Id bet 3 lengths will cover close enough the first ten home.

I haven't looked at the race yet but my immediate reaction to yesterday's race was that Cape Blanco must be a good thing. Glad I don't act upon impulse too often.

The time people on here had agreed the Dante was the fastest trial and Workforce has gone on to put up a monster performance in winning the Derby.

What do we make of Coordinated Cut's run yesterday? Would Cape Blanco only have been three or four lengths ahead of him? Did we over-rate the Dante?

More questions than answers and I hope to look again at the form some time this morning.

I can see them going no pace and there being some awful hard luck stories given the size of the field.

Obviously foolish to take the Dante form literally but I was impressed by Cape Blanco that day. Having a EW bet on Viscount Nelson as well, hoping the step up in trip will see him get involved.

I also am backing Viscount Nelson - win + place [28.0 + 7.4 on betfair]

hopefully he will show the Irish guineas form in a good light. He won't mind the ground and 10f looks the job to me.

Impressed with that from the Poulains winner. Didn't Planteur in second beat Rewilding easily last time?

Love the irony btw - a Shamardal colt in the Hurricane Run colours doing the Poulains/Jockey Club double!

Impressed with that from the Poulains winner. Didn't Planteur in second beat Rewilding easily last time?

Yes, but Rewilding quite green that day.

Top class performance from the winner, looks an absolutely smashing horse.

Have to say yet again great ride by Guyon. Got across really well, and made a move at exactly the right time.

I wonder are we beginning to see a shift in power towards some of the new Darley stallions?

Planteur got a much better ride than Rewilding when he beat him I thought. That said, the 2 give a relatively good guide to the merits of each race.

Looking at the full result, I suspect he ran up to his current official rating of 120, but with more to come. That would, however, require Pain Perdu and particularly Lumineux (rated just 98 coming into this) to have improved quite a bit.

Winner is a nice horse, not sure he will stay the Arc distance.

Sheikh Mohammed owns the stallions of the winners of the 2000 Guineas, Derby, French Derby and Oaks.

Nice to see Allied Powers add a Group 2 to his previous Group 3 win in France earlier in the year. The ideal horse to go abroad with, not quite good enough to win in the grade in this country but capable of picking up plenty of prize money.

Darley and Coolmore probably making major bids for Lope De Vega now.

Coolmore will want him even more I think, since they will really want this opportunity to buy into Shamardal. But Sheikh will probably outbid to keep Lope away from Coolmore. Interesting to see what happens.

Yes, both Shamardal and Dubawi have certainly outshone Oratorio and Footstepsinthesand - so far at least. (And, in this year's classics, they've outshone Galileo and Montjeu as well!) And, of course, on the strength of Makfi's and Lope de Vega's exploits, they will get an even better group of mares (and that's saying something) than they did in their first year at stud. Teofilo, Authorised and New Approach to come. Coolmore beginning to worry?

Another boost for the Guineas form as Dick Turpin ran the horse close in the Poulains .

The price was absurd . Just wish I had backed it !

Was that Viscount Nelson running on well for fifth ?

Back