Friday 15th December 2023

yorick

Conditional
On 22nd November, my notes tell me I wrote this about the last run of Cepage (2.25 Cheltenham)

"Didn't win but that was a right good blowout, wasn't it. An honest ride, I thought. I'm not sure the course would be his favourite experience; don't know why: just an impression.

As for distance, his blood just says stay, stay , stay. Strange then, that most of his winning has been over less than 3m. Looking at the races he's had at around 3m, he's run well in great handicap company in fast pace contests. I wonder, with that bloodline, whether they'd consider a marathon distance, you know. It does seem weird that they'd try it so late in his career but he has only had 29 races in all that time.

Having shared that thought, I should add that I wouldn't be perturbed if they dropped him in trip."

Well here we are and, indeed, he's dropped in trip and class and down a massive 5Lbs for that run. What's more, they reach for the first-time pieces. That's a real bonus and I backed him two days ago at 8/1. Inevitably is has now been cut to 5/1 and, even at that price, offers ew possibilities of a 1-2-3 place in this 9 runner field. A little worrying is the shortening this morning. Even as I write, I see it's shortened again to 9/2. You know I hate a daytime gamble.

Cepage 2.25 Cheltenham 8/1 Ew

I see no reason not to be backing:

Grey Dawning 12.40 Cheltenham 7/4 win

That last Haydock win was achieved in the style of a quality horse and I'll be backing him to follow up today. Goodness me, he beat Apple Away 14L that day, giving 7Lbs and look how that horse won yesterday. My biggest concern is why my selection isn't a shorter price. Frankly, imo, he should be nearer evens fav.

So:

2 X singles
1 x win double

Good luck

Grey Dawning got really hot competition and has to give weight to them, but he did look good.

Any one of them winning wouldn’t be much of a surprise and if I could trust Jonjo (difficult) I thought Crebilly was going much the best when he fell last time and should be in with a squeak.

GL, yo

Thanks for the response, mate.

Yup, a hot race.

GD beat Apple Away out of site lto. Did you see how that one won and (more importantly) jumped yesterday?

It's what NH is all about. I just love it.

Can't wait to watch.

2017diary;bt1856 said:
A shortener wins! WD, go collect :thumbsup:

Yeah. Not often they win but I'm happy to buck the trend.

He romped that, didn't he?

Nice plan, well executed.

Think Grey Dawn would have gone much closer but for the mistake at the 2nd last and he finished close enough, didn't he.

Still, the fences are there to be jumped.

That was a hot little race, I think. Good time, too.

Back