Friday 15th September 2023

yorick

Conditional
Morning.

As autumn drifts in, we enter the period when the season's exertions can start having an effect on horses. Summer form can disappear as horses go 'over the top'. So we can never rely on form to stand up.

There are three which I've dared with today and I'll share, for anyone interested.

Tactical - 4.45 Doncaster 10/1 Ew

With only four runs this season, here's one that, only five runs ago, was rated 103 but has now slipped to a tempting 93. His last run, in a classy race at York, saw him put in some nice, unheralded, work late on to give notice that a return to form may be imminent. If that is so, he looks a solid bet in this. I'm not sure whether he'd be absolutely suited by absolutely soft ground but the forecast for Town Moor looks like being dry and bright so, by the time we raech this race, late on the card, we may be looking at G/Sft. If that were to be the case, it would give him ideal conditions. Worth a go, I think.

Peony - Sandown 5.00 4/1 Ew

Another one lightly-raced this term, she gave notice that there may be more to come last time out. Lovely late work gave the impression that taking on Coco Jamboo again should hold no fears. That race the last day was super fast and the form looks the line to be following here.

Barbaha Queen - 6.30 Ballinrobe 14/1 Ew

This is, probably, one for just me. When I looked at her in her last race I thought two things:

1) She hurdled just really well
2) She looked like a chaser through and through, which her breeding might suggest.

Well, here we are on his very next run and they pop her over the big 'uns. I feel duty bound, in the light of those two impressions to back her today.

Anyway, have a look and see what you think.

Good luck.

The bad news is that all of mine appear to have been backed this morning; you know how much I hate that.

Tactical now 15/2 from 14's last night

Peony 7/2 from 5's last night

Barbaha Queen 7's from 14's earlier today.

So, I'm prepared for the worst.

Peony ran really well, just got trapped on the rail. She ran on nicely once clear and she is close in ability to the winner. Coco Jamboo has gone up 6lbs for this win which is fair, Peony has been dropped a pound which to me is hilarious. I'd have put her up. She's on my tracker now.

Sorry not to reply: I’ve been walking up on Hadrians Wall (stunning).
You’re right, of course - down a pound is ridiculous and excellent at the same time.
Hopefully we’ll be on before the season’s out.

Euronymous;bt1756 said:
Peony ran really well, just got trapped on the rail. She ran on nicely once clear and she is close in ability to the winner. Coco Jamboo has gone up 6lbs for this win which is fair, Peony has been dropped a pound which to me is hilarious. I'd have put her up. She's on my tracker now.

Well, Coco Jamboo payed a lovely compliment to Peony yesterday, didn't he, winning again.

No entries that I can see, at this stage.

She did. I didn't post my bets yesterday because I was working from 0730 in my local Entain emporium but I had Lady Alara in the 10f handicap, Meditate in the SC and Harry Brown at Ascot. I wasn't gonna back CJ as she was 7/2 in the morning but she drifted to 11/2 at one point pre race so I had a little on the machine but the main bet was an ew double with Harry Brown. Downer. I also think Coco did really well to win as imo the Rowley Mile didn't suit, she had to go for home way earlier than ideal.

Nigiri also represents the Peony/Coco form strand and I thought she ran OK yesterday considering the draw and the decision to make all with her which didn't suit. And speaking of Nigiri, her conqueror at Donny is a bet in the Challenge this Friday.

Back