Friday 24th May 2024

yorick

Conditional
An instructive but frustrating day yesterday, with the weather intervention. To be fair, I only had myself to blame for not keeping a close eye on the going at Sandown, which changed mid-morning to soft. Had I been more attentive, I would certainly not done Commander Crouch on that going. I wonder if anyone reading this blog might’ve looked the horse’s form and had that thought. If so, a little reply on here to that effect would be appreciated. My own responsibility, I know.

Instructive inasmuch as I learnt that Invictus Machin needs to be abandoned; his jumping has deteriorated and, as such, he ceases to interest me as a chaser. He’ll win next time out now, we know, but they’re welcome to him, whatever the price.

Al Rufaa was notable mostly for the ride he got. He was sent haring out in front by Mr Kingscote, which is most definitely not the way to ride this one, as well they know. That was a huge flag for me which says he may need backing next time out.
‘Rab Havlin was able to switch Al Rufaa off early doors as he can over-race but he came through well in the end. Ideally he would enjoy some more give in the ground’- Thady Gosden, assistant trainer
I remember, years ago, getting a tip for Tender Heart in the Hunt cup. The run before that race he ran a prep and the jockey sped to the front and made it a ridiculous gallop, then folded quickly. In the Hunt Cup, they put Joe Mercer aboard, who held on to him until the very last, then popped him up on the line.

Today, I shall have just the one:

Swinging London -,Pontefract 7.15 11/2 Ew

I noted him last time out and believed he was denied on several occasions when trying to mount a challenge, something not really mentioned in dispatches. He’ll do for me in this lower grade race.
Elsewhere I shall take an interest in:

Claymore Goodwood 15.35 Ew

Racingbreaks Ryder – Goodwood 4.10 Ew

I wish I could remember now what the Kubler's said about Al Rufaa's chances yesterday. Went in the brain and straight out again. I think they were hoping for a fast pace. Could it be that everything went off too slow, forcing Kingscote's hand? (I'm rubbish at analysing pace) **Edit no I don't think so, AR was in front after 20 yards, didn't look enough time for Kingscote to see what was going to happen. Evidence suggest he just let go from the outset.

ofc it could just have been a 'fun' run for the Hunt Cup. Might be a sign if they put Dylan Hogan back on.

Last edited:
Al rufaa was my selection for the Lincoln but didn't run.possibly didn't get in.
Doubtful he will get in the Hunt cup.
They said he ran away with Kingscote yesterday.not one of my favourite jockeys.

I looked at commander crouch and thought it was worth sticking with mate.

Yes, I saw he was entered for that. At first, I thought it might be a prep for the Chester race that he ran in last year but that's tomorrow. I wonder whether he'd actually get into the Hunt Cup. I'll have a look.

Al rufaa was my selection for the Lincoln but didn't run.possibly didn't get in.
Doubtful he will get in the Hunt cup.
They said he ran away with Kingscote yesterday.not one of my favourite jockeys.

I looked at commander crouch and thought it was worth sticking with mate.
Yes, agree about CC. Although not his going, that was a decent performance; not beaten that far even though out of the places.

I think Kingscote was either trying to get a good pitch from a wide draw and then lit up the horse too much in doing so or he just went hell for leather. I think the latter since there was no attempt to restrain him at all. A non-trier would be the call for me.

I wonder if anyone reading this blog might’ve looked the horse’s form and had that thought. If so, a little reply on here to that effect would be appreciated.

It would be someone like me who looks in most days who would pick something like this up but most times I only have a fleeting glance.

Backed Be Frank in the 4.10
I can see why, too, E.

The breeding says that 7f is probably what he needs now. The going will suit, as well and that race behind Quinault was a fast timed affair, wasn't it.

Good luck with that. If I hadn't had a little thing for RR this season, I might well have done yours, mate.(y)

I wonder if anyone reading this blog might’ve looked the horse’s form and had that thought. If so, a little reply on here to that effect would be appreciated.

It would be someone like me who looks in most days who would pick something like this up but most times I only have a fleeting glance.
Just a thought, Das.

I felt such a fool for not checking any change of going. Apparently the change was made at 10.30 am, after I'd looked early doors and it said 'Good'

But you can call me Yoz, if you wish. Although Yorick is more refined, I think. I'd never think of myself as 'refined' haha.

Just a thought, Das.

I felt such a fool for not checking any change of going. Apparently the change was made at 10.30 am, after I'd looked early doors and it said 'Good'
I guessed it would turn soft or heavy after watching it rain at kempton the night before.
Just up the road from Sandown.

Back