Friday 31st March 2023

yorick

Conditional
Looking at Wetherby, the going is soft and maybe, come post-time, even softer.

Anyone following my blogs will be aware that one of my favourites this season has been:

Lounge Lizard - 3.55 Wetherby 5/2 Win

When he won lto, my comment was:

So said the RP race analysis.

'Still looked a bit raw' is an understatement imo. He's a big, raw baby with lots more growing to be done , if you look at his frame.

His jumping was, in the main, just very good: a real forte. This was ground that would have been lively enough, even though a bit cut up on the surface. If you look, he has a knee action as high as you like.

Only 6, he looks like an out-and-out stayer to me, who'll go in proper soft/heavy ground, as the Kayf Tara would suggest.

If ever there is a horse to follow it's this one and providing they're easy with him, we can look forward to a second chase season where any amount of staying races beckon. 3/12 miles around Haydock would be ideal, to me.

I rather hope they ease him off now and let him grow. There's plenty of time but they'll need to treat him gently, bring him along as he grows and the future looks bright. Welsh Nash type in time, too, don't you think?/COLOR]

After having written that, it seems that this race might come a bit soon for the strapping gelding and he could be a risky prospect. So I am in a quandary.

However, if he is to progress onto some of the better class handicaps (classes 3 & 2) next term, he will need to climb the ratings from where he sits now 0n 118. So a win here would serve that purpose, for sure. He'd want be in the high 120 - 130's to get in those sorts of races, wouldn't he.

So, having expressed the opinion that it might be wise to turn him out and let him grow, one more winning outing would fit the bill.

Another thing is the soft ground here, which will definitely be in his favour.

Being the pessimist I am, I will naturally have the fear on me but, all things considered, I simply must have the courage to back him and trust trainer Daly. The horse owes me nothing so I'm willing to take the risk and recommend him on these pages.

Back