Friday 31st May 2024

yorick

Conditional
Friday 31st May 2024

A reasonable day yesterday but one which could have turned quite nicely but for a couple of things. Firstly, Conor Beasley chose just the wrong place to be with a come-from-behind horse like Baryshnikov: on the rail behind horses and paid the price when hemmed in over the last two furlongs . That did me for making up a three-placed Trixie. I called it correctly with Lunar Run but how could I guess that he’d be beaten by Jolie Baie? There was a form line between these two and LR was 17Lbs better for 4L on their novice hurdle meeting last year. Greek God framed so no damage done but it seems the blinds didn’t correct his hanging tendency so he’s off the list, for sure.

Today’s racing – you tell me. There’s absolutely nothing as a standout bet. I’ve pored over two handicaps at Epsom and, for all that, I’ve got a couple which I’m only guessing at; there are more if’s and but’s than hairs on a mammoth.

For my sins, I would throw a few pennies at these, for the sport: Finn’s Charm 2.35 Epsom Ew and Hodler 5.40 Epsom Ew. In the Oaks, I’d expect the favourite to win at cramped odds.

It seems mad that there is so much racing and so little choice for me but there you go.

Back