Friday 3rd May 2024

yorick

Apprentice
As I look out of the window, we're back to 'As you were' with the rain gently pattering onto puddles outside. The last two days have been, thank heavens, beautifully sunny. At least I managed to get some summer planting done before normal service was resumed. It would've been good for it to continue onto today since we have people coming to put a new carpet in the bedroom.. I've taken a few minutes off from furniture moving to write this.

I will be having a bet today and it will involve the form of Apple Away: no surprise there.

In the 4.50 at Punchestown I see Instit is running. At Perth, last time out, over 3m she was soundly put in her place by Apple Away but I must say that, during the race, watching live, I was worried by how easily Instit was travelling as they ran down the far side for the last time. It was in the final half mile that AA asserted and won well. It's no secret that I hold AA in high regard over 3m so I'm thinking that Instit must have a decent chance here. Yes, we see Allegory De Vassy as just about favourite but there are a couple of things to consider here. Firstly, most of her best winning form (imo) has been achieved on ground soft or heavier. Even having said that, she gave today's possible joint favourite, Brides Hill, a good spanking on G/Y at Thurles in their novice days. Secondly, last April, however, she started odds on at Fairyhouse against Instit and was beaten. The RP analysis remarked:

"Allegorie De Vassy had every chance to get back to winning ways but she didn't find what seemed likely when the winner wasn't fluent two out, and a mistake at the last sealed her fate. It's probable that her Cheltenham effort the previous month took the edge of her."

So, we arrive at Punchestown and see that ADV is sharing favouritism with Brides Hill. The bookies obviously disagree with me but I'm not bowled over by BH's form and am much more inclined to take the Ew on Instit, which I consider to be the best value in the race.

Instit - 4.50 Punchestown 7/1 Ew

I like the look of the racing today but will still keep a watchful eye. I give the horses below merely to share my thoughts:

Manxman - 2.05 Goodwood - 11/4
Gisburn - 3.15 Goodwood 11/2
Kings Lynn - 3.50 Goodwood 4/1
Solomon Grey - Cheltenham 8.05 9/2
A tiny Win L15

Coup De Pinceau - Cheltenham 7.30 Ew

Last edited:
In the 2.05 Goodwood, you could reasonably argue that Miss Cynthia's continual leaning against Manxman, carrying him across the course, cost Manxman the race, there.

Just my luck, eh? The stewards agree with me:

An enquiry was held to consider interference for a prolonged period from 1 ½ furlongs out involving MISS CYNTHIA, placed third, ridden by Jack Gilligan and MANXMAN (IRE), placed second, ridden by Robert Havlin. Gilligan was suspended for 3 days for careless riding as he allowed his mount to drift left-handed for a considerable distance carrying MANXMAN (IRE) off its intended racing line.

Although I didn't back it today it was good to see Baldomero finally win on turf.hes been running really well and deserved to get his head in front.

Yup, won that well. No complaints about Gisburn although it took him a while to run on.

Jack Channon is turning into the Venetia Williams of the flat for me: loses when I back him, beats me when I go against.😖

So, we arrive at Punchestown and see that ADV is sharing favouritism with Brides Hill. The bookies obviously disagree with me but I'm not bowled over by BH's form and am much more inclined to take the Ew on Instit, which I consider to be the best value in the race.

Instit - 4.50 Punchestown 7/1 Ew

I like the look of the racing today but will still keep a watchful eye. I give the horses below merely to share my thoughts:

Manxman - 2.05 Goodwood - 11/4
Gisburn - 3.15 Goodwood 11/2
Kings Lynn - 3.50 Goodwood 4/1
Solomon Grey - Cheltenham 8.05 9/2
A tiny Win L15

Coup De Pinceau - Cheltenham 7.30 Ew

------------------------------------------------------
Well, I think I got out of jail with Instit there. Didn't think he'd be placed at one point but 2nd was secured in the end. Good

But learnt a bit of a lesson with my tiny win L15. If i'd done it ew, a nice profit would've been accrued with two 2nds and two 3rds. Not the first time time I've learnt that lesson, is it? Ho hum

Back