Fundamentalist

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Nice to see this lad get his head back in front for the first time for a long time.

Probably won't fulfil the apparent potential he had but is still a nice horse.

Slight understatement or tongue-in-cheek, Colin?!

Once upon a time they were talking in terms of Fundamentalist winning Gold Cups.

Good to see him win today though and he did it easily enough.

I remember after his novice chase win at the open meeting opinions were divided as to what his target should be -Arkle,Sun Alliance or Gold Cup.Mybe he could win a good handicap if kept fresh.

The clues were there yesterday;

He had them all cooked at Cheltenham last time in identical grade, with similarities in the field but he up rooted the 3rd last and was looked after subsequently.

A reproduction of that effort was always going to see him win this. Quite how Ofarel D' Airy was favourite was a bemusement. He wouldn't have got within 20L of the Twiston horse had he not made that alarming error.

I thought it was only at Wincanton that the Ditcheat moderate prospects went off silly prices, it seems to have become a nationwide prospective now.

I certainly has - Nicholls horses are now routinely overbet, esp as the yard seems a little out of form right now!

People keep making jokes about the Twister horses being put away now till next autumn LOL - but they forget that for the last season or two Twister didn't have a decent jockey. Now he does - and contrary to what some people like ot think, the jockey does make a difference [esp over jumps]

I remember being sucked in by Fundamentalists win at the Open meeting. It was a question of whether the horse would win the Arkle, Sun Alliance, or possibly go straight for the Gold Cup.

In possibly the greatest post on this site, that I've seen, one person said that Fundamentalist wouldnt win another race. I've never seen the NTD early autumn factor in evidence so clearly as with this horse.

Yesterday's was a mediocre race, but the fact both he (and Celtic Son who looked a superstar at Wincanton as a novice) were still eligible to run in a graduation chase yesterday was a little sad.

The poster in question was the golden drifter - who said as I remember it that it was known in Ireland that Fundamentalist had a wind problem and that his best days were behind him .

Back