Galileo colic surgery

Ha ha!

Jesus I would say very few people got much sleep in Coolmore on Thursday night!

Sounds like he should be fine though.

How awful, colic is sooooo scary and sudden sometimes. We visited Coolmore only last week because I did some research on Sadler's Wells and they very kindly let us visit the old boy. And as it was outside of covering season and very quiet there we also got to see Galileo, which, as massive fans of this sire line we were thrilled about. He was looking like a naughty school boy, very very cheeky, happy and well.

Thank God it looks as if he will be okay. Not just a huge loss to bloodstock (especially with his sire having been retired and him taking on the mantle) but he is a much loved horse too.

Gal, you are right, I bet no one there has had much sleep!

Good to hear he'll be ok. It is mad to think he's 10, I guess he stays as a perpetual 3yo to me.

Would the surgery rule out or limit his stud duties next season? I watched a programme recently about a showjumper who had colic surgery & he had to have 6 weeks box rest followed by no riding/training for 6 months

Yes, it just does not seem like that long since he was winning the Derby. He sure does not look 10 either but that sire line is very evergreen. Sadler's Wells does not look 27, he looks about 12.

If he does make a full recovery it should not mean he cannot cover as he would not begin again until mid February earliest. But I suppose they may limit his mares to make sure he does not overstress himself, if that is the right word!

Back