Gallops News

Flame

At the Start
Good morning, some news from some work this week

Tuesday 16th September 2008

Sir Mark Prescott – Al Bahathri

The Cambridgeshire is on the cards for the improving Master Of Arts and he has been working nicely after a small break. Led by Soft Morning over 7f he moved through strongly. He is improving all the time and would be of interest next weekend if there was cut in the ground.

Reclamation is another to keep an eye out for and she looked in good form matching strides with Alma Mater. In a strongly run 7f she moved through nicely asserting by just over a length and she looks to have improved since her comeback run at Kempton.

Wednesday 17th September 2008

Sir Michael Stoute – Limekilns

A busy morning for the Freemason Lodge handler but a few came shining through their work.

Jamboretta was dropped 5lb from 98 to 93 when disappointing on her latest start at Newcastle over 10f in June but she has been freshened up since her work with more staying sorts suggests she could be very interesting when stepping up in trip. Good old servant Distinction took the trio along at a nice pace before being joined by the much improved Sugar Ray. Jamboretta bided her time but moved through stylishly to sit comfortably best of the trio before edging on by around a length, with her companions finishing upsides in behind. Jamboretta could be aimed at the November Handicap but is likely to pick up a 0-100 over 1m 4f en route.

On the comeback trail is former Derby hopeful Kensington Oval. He is still a bit ring rusty but moved okay when chasing up consistent work horse Maraahel in an even work out. Ryan Moore was easy enough on Kensington Oval who had 3/4L to find on his companion at the end of the gallop.

Of the juveniles to work, Salisbury 4th Ave really caught the eye. Led by Folkestone 2nd Damini she moved very well over 7f with impressive Newmarket winner Golden Stream (Ryan Moore). The trio went a strong gallop looking in good order and it was Ave who was going best to the value of a length at the end of the gallop. Chased up by Golden Stream, the pair were marginally away from Damini. This trio are very smart juvenile fillies and Ave gives the impression she wont be long a maiden.

In Solo spins the quirky Papal Bull looked in tip top order. For once he seemed to be grabbing hold of the bit and looked in very good form as he strode out over 5f. After a couple of close 2nds in top company his confidence seems to be growing and growing. At 40/1 he is seriously overpriced for the Prix De L’Arc De Triomphe in 2 weeks and he shouldn’t be discounted in his current form.

Henry Cecil – Limekilns

It could be a big week for the Cecil team with Wingwalker winning in the week and the Champion Stakes not too far away now.

PHOENIX TOWER has taken his racing outstandingly this season and the improvement doesn’t seem to be fading yet. He moved effortlessly in his latest gallop in what was a strong piece over 8f and he was swinging all other leading companions Twice Over and Many Volumes. It was a case of any time you want signals from his rider as he had his companions shoved along to stay upsides. He is in incredible form at present and surely that elusive group one success is just round the corner.

Salisbury 2nd On Our Way (Tom Queally) is back in strong work after a freshener and he moved nicely with an older lead. Asked no serious questions he edged on by 2l with plenty in the locker and looks in good order.

Jack Dawkins is another for the notebook and he looks like he is coming back to his old self. Partnered by Ted Durcan over 7f he moved well with consistent stayers Tempelstern (led) and Tranquil Tiger. The trio all moved smoothly in their 7f workout with emphasis on Jack Dawkins who appeared to be travelling best. He is one to keep on side prior to next Saturday’s Cambridgeshire where he is expected to make his long awaited reappearance.

Alpha Tauri impressed under Eddie Ahern in his 6f workout. The Aldebaran colt looked impressive as he surged 8L clear of 2 unraced companions and is one to note prior to debut.

Montbretia also breezed out nicely prior to Saturday and she should take all the beating at the weekend. The improving 3yo filly was a one time Oaks contender but needed more time. Led by Ethereal Flame she was asked no questions but suggested she would be hard to beat at the weekend.

Luca Cumani – Limekilns

A couple of the stable stars were on the Limekilns looking in good form.

Cambridgeshire possible Presvis continues to look a horse with plenty in hand over the handicapper and he looked in great form this morning easing in his work with Monte Alto over 6f. The pair weren’t hanging about in a strong gallop but Presvis travelled with confidence before being allowed to go on nearing the end of the work. He is in top form and Ryan Moore replaces George Baker on Saturday after he gave him too much to do at Newmarket last time. In the Newbury feature he looks a solid each way option and will be very hard to see out the frame. Monte Alto also remains in fair form. At 25/1 Presvis would be worth a bet for the Cambridgeshire as his price will only shorten if he wins later this afternoon.

Purple Moon also looked well in his work edging on a length ahead of Speed Gifted in a strong 7f spin. The pair went on from their 80s rated lead and look in good form.

Reporters Advice

Best Bet

Very Wise (William Haggas) is in great form at present and he looked in top order as he stretched on in his recent spin. A drop into claiming company next week should see him back in business.

Ahead Of The Handicapper

Jamboretta (Sir Michael Stoute) is a filly going places and having taken control of her 100+ rated companions she looks a seriously well handicapped filly off 93 for when she tackles middle distance races.

One To Note

Jack Dawkins (Henry Cecil) is steadily on the comeback trail and is one of numerous strong Newmarket chances in the Cambridgeshire.

Dark Horse

Shirocco Breeze (Saeed Bin Suroor) could be a future star for the boys in blue and there was plenty to like about the way he stretched out with Truly Royal on Wednesday morning. He is one for the notebooks.

Good Luck
Chris

Last edited:
Cheers for that Chris.

I'm sure he's working very well but I'd rather invest in an American bank than Papal Bull for the Arc, if he won the Arc I think I'd have to give the game up!

Why aim Very Wise at a claimer when he's a good thing for an all-weather handicap from his current ridiculously lenient mark.

I hope a few of you noticed Ave run on Monday.

Many Volumes impressed on Saturday morning and is strongly expected to defeat Purple Moon who needs the run, Tranquil Tiger doesn't want rain.

Very Wise remains in good order and should have no problem collecting in the 3.25 at Redcar.

Many Volumes would be my Nap.

nice info, cheers Chris,

with 7 stars swap window coming around, have you seen DOUBNOV or POET LAUREATE they have not raced for almost a year,

i was kinda hoping they might they go to Asia for the internationals. or just hoping they are galloping at least? LOL

was also wondering about RIO LA PLATA although i dont have it in the competition.

Flipper

Very Wise drifted like a barge in the betting then didn't come out the stalls and gave 10 lengths away at the start.

No doubt the stewards won't even look into the incident.

Very disappointed with him, maybe now's the time to make Willie Haggas a cheeky offer for the horse. I don't mind getting beat, but no run for your money is sickening.

nice info, cheers Chris,

with 7 stars swap window coming around, have you seen DOUBNOV or POET LAUREATE they have not raced for almost a year,

i was kinda hoping they might they go to Asia for the internationals. or just hoping they are galloping at least? LOL

was also wondering about RIO LA PLATA although i dont have it in the competition.

Flipper

The top two are not in training in England.

Rio has not galloped for at least 6 weeks.

Wasn't much longer than a year ago that Alasdair Down was proclaiming that Godolphin were back based partly on Rio de la Plata...

Why do jockeys think you can give a horse 20L head start in slow ground, at no pace. Tom has had that so easy in front, credit to the Johnston horse for nearly getting him, but the 3rd - 6th jockeys should be fined heavily.

Have to disgaree with you Chris. It isn't as though the likes of Durcan et al were sitting there posturing with double handfuls, they just weren't going anywhere.

I'm on about the early stages, you shouldn't allow a horse that much rope. If you expect horses to pick up like that, you must either think your on the second coming, or you have been advising pink treatment on Betfair.

I backed Many Volumes and have no issue with the ride ~ he simply wasn't good enough and was closer to the front runner 3f out than at the line. Chris, if you want to see a horse gifted a race at the start, watch the run of No Full at Listowel last week. I reckon the other two favourites gave him a twelve second start, never mind lengths.

Back