Gary Moore

Colin Phillips

At the Start
I've either read on here or another forum, or heard it said on one of the racing channels, that Gary Moore rewards his staff at Christmas by lining up a few nice winners for them.

His two winners at Lingfield yesterday prompted me to have a look at the figures. So with the help of the Adrian Massey site I came up with the figures below. I will leave any interpretation to you.

Since 2004 all Gary's runners have returned a winning percentage of 12% and a return of 89.3%, those in December of those years winners 13.4% return 92.5%.

Not that significant perhaps but when you look at his 'fancied' runners.

Favourites, all year 28.3% return 89.1%...............December 41.2% return 121.9%
first 3 in betting, all year 20.7%return 88.2%........December 29.3% return 126.0%
runners starting @ 15/2 or less, all year 20.4% return 91.8%...December 27.6% return 118.8%

Well, I'm not really sure if the legend is true or not.

However, the stats you have produced are largely meaningless because those in the know won't be backing all his runners (only the "Christmas Bonus" runners) and are likely to be on at much better prices than the SP (eg they would have taken the 8/1 available about his winner yesterday - not the 3/1 SP).

It's interesting though.

I should add that GL Moore is the trainer I have most trouble figuring out. I know he is good, but when I fancy one of his it usually drifts in the betting and gets stuffed. When I think one of his can't win, it gets backed off the boards and lags-up. It's probably just a statisical blip, but it does my head in.

I might just be imagining this, but he seems to me to have an incredible number of dodgepots in his yard. I have lost count of the number of horses he has had that travel well throughout the race and into 2nd place - but then won't go passed the leader and end up finishing 2nd far too often. I suppose Nawamees would be the most famous example but Balian (0 from 25) is my personal favourite.

If you are speaking about Gary Moore dodgepots, how have you failed to mention Turner's Touch yet. Rumour has it he won't touch proper horse feed and demands pedigree chum as stables every night.

He did indeed.
Of course Balian ended up with Pam Sly and she couldn't get a win out of him either.
Earlsfield Raider was another dodgepot of Moore's that was recently claimed by Caroline Bailey and won on debut for her at Leicester last week.

Back