Gift Horse...yesterday?

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Did anyone pick up on the ride of the 3lbs. claimer Neil? Brown on Gift Horse in the last at Donny yesterday.

Two furlongs out he was sitting there, admiring himself in the mirror, with a treble handful waiting to press de button.

Sadly he didn't spot Ryan Moore, on the eventual winner, getting first run. It was all hands to the pumps then but the race had gone.

Not really sure if Gift Horse would have won but I do hope Dandy had a word with the young man.

If anyone suggests yesterday wasn't the day and the horse is plotted up for the Ayr Gold Cup, I just couldn't believe such a thing about his very open and always straightforward handler.

Do you think a losing run than stretches back to his Stewards Cup win in 2005 is any factor in Gift Horse being ridden the way he was? The horse has become a serial loser despite shaping similarly well numerous times throughout the last 3 years, I thought he was a potential champion sprinter when he tanked through the Duke of York in 2006. I really don't think there's a well-planned coup being formed here, merely a horse that's a very difficult ride and doesn't want to win.

A difficult job for Neil Brown as Gift Horse won't do a thing in front and has travelled too well into the race; I'm sure he was under instruction to pounce as late as possible and it's just bad luck that the winner has come from behind him and on his blind side. I'm sure the betting shop punters wouldn't have been happy though.

Speaking of interesting rides... did anyone see the ride Kelly Harrison gave Balakiref in the 5.20 Ayr this afternoon? The horse finished strongly still on the bridle.

Cozy Tiger in the last at Leicester the other day also was "tenderly" ridden.

I'd watch out for both in the market next time out.

Speaking of interesting rides... did anyone see the ride Kelly Harrison gave Balakiref in the 5.20 Ayr this afternoon? The horse finished strongly still on the bridle.

Cozy Tiger in the last at Leicester the other day also was "tenderly" ridden.

I'd watch out for both in the market next time out.

Cozy Tiger has had two conecutive "easys" now; I backed him at Leicester but the market drift (out to 70+ on the machine) told its own story. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Yeah, the drift combined with the ride should have prompted some investigation in my mind. Definitely worth backing when it's supported in the market.

Watching the head-on at the finish and seeing those air-shots and running into other horses was shocking, this after the 4-5 lengths he deliberately gave up at the start.

Yeah, the drift combined with the ride should have prompted some investigation in my mind. Definitely worth backing when it's supported in the market.

Watching the head-on at the finish and seeing those air-shots and running into other horses was shocking, this after the 4-5 lengths he deliberately gave up at the start.

I'd say 4-5 lengths was conservative. Absolutely anchored in the first 150 yards.

Note the jockey on his run before too where he didn't have many friends in the market. Ripon is a "favourite track" of Mr Culhane too.

I also backed Cozy Tiger at Leicester, I thought they'd have a go as the 4th run in the maiden had got his initial mark down from 75 to 68. The drift was absolutely colossal and as you say, the game was up after 150 yds.

I don't know whether there is something dodgy about these or whether she's just awful but the ride Killer Class just got from Miss Harrison was horrendous!

Both todays and yesterdays should have been subject to inquiries as neither horse was ridden to achieve the best possible placing in my opinion.

I've backed Gift Horse today, as well as Joseph henry, Obe Gold, Stevie gee, Cha Cha Cha, Sunrise Safari and Harrison George.

Done 50p CFC and 20p CTC as well.

All singles, £50 ew, except Obe, & Sunrise who were 25 ew, whilst Gift was 75 Ew

Have to confess I don't know what to make of that. There's little indication in his pedigree that he wants a mile and a half and the jockey booking is interesting too. Ahern is hardly a regular rider for the yard, but Stephen Donohoe who is and rode him at Leicester last time partners Zuwaar instead for Ian Williams. I suspect a free-going non-staying effort and down another couple of pounds before they have a go with him on the all-weather later in the season.

Finished 4th, given a poor ride by Ahern, gave it loads to do. 12s out to 14s and into 10s again so they were trying today.

Won't be much value next time out.

When Gift Horse ran at Wolverhampton a couple of Saturday nights ago I put up an in running lay of him and his stable companion at 1.32.Both bets were matched and another horse came and chinned both of them.
At the time I knew there was a reason I wanted to be against Gift Horse but couldn't remember what it was.Obviously it was reading the opinions on this thread.

Back