Gigginstown Retainer

trefflich

Rookie
Top ride from Davy on Beef to the Heels in the 2.35 in Down Royal...:rolleyes:absolutely pathetic. Do not like this jockey but have no choice due to the retainer he has with Gigginstown. Not the first or last time he's done me out of a few quid...and that is pocket talk!

Beef to the Heels is a hound.

Don't know if he is or not, been campaigned against a good class of horse so far. Thought he was nailed on today but I will have reservations in future. If Russell had got stuck in to him earlier on the run in he would have prevailed. He was caught out by the fast finisher and had he had his wits about him would have won. I have mellowed a bit now but I'm not impressed.:mad:

Don't know if he is or not, been campaigned against a good class of horse so far. Thought he was nailed on today but I will have reservations in future. If Russell had got stuck in to him earlier on the run in he would have prevailed. He was caught out by the fast finisher and had he had his wits about him would have won. I have mellowed a bit now but I'm not impressed.:mad:

Is it not fair to say Davy Russell went for home a long way out? The horse was entitled to tire and has found zilch in his two runs this year off the bridle.

Last edited:
Davy Russell got a three day ban here so can hardly be accused of not doing enough!!!!!!

Davy Russell got a three day ban here so can hardly be accused of not doing enough!!!!!!

Disagree, jock thought race was in the bag coming to the last and let him pop it. Pushed hands and heels then 50 yds from line he sees the other horse come at him and decides to whip the horse 6 times without giving time to respond. That is most likely what he got the ban for. Poor race riding in my opinion:mad:not that he will give a damn about his error.

I would blame the horse more than Russell, he gave him 3 smacks going to the last and its a short run in, Russell done everything right during the race and had no choice but to go when he did. As Slim says, thats twice now Beef To Heels has not found much at business end and he is one to be wary of, its not as if Russell stopped riding after the last, he was keeping the horse up to its work and its started tying up on him.

Goodkat, this is not your usual style of post. You must be a Russell fan? I went to my local bookies today for a look around and two people mentioned how bad Davy was on this horse yesterday. Went 1.02 in running, did not keep the horse up to his work...it was jockey error that got him beaten. Just as well he's not a pilot in O'Leary's main business or we could have a far worse tale of woe today.

Last edited:
I've been very critical of the rider in the past but must admit I'm fairly neutral on this ride. I think it's worth pointing out that Russell administered 3 stern reminders before the last, and he then did the right thing in making sure the horse was balanced to jump. It's quite possible that he was slow to get after him on landing, and that might well have made a difference, but this wasn't the most clear cut case you'll see.

It's pretty clear to my eye and bank balance anyway Rory. I geneally do not back Russell as I think he gets beaten on plenty that should really be winning. As Giggs number one, I don't have the option to opt out as freely as I would wish. What do others think?

Racing Post Spotlight

The gradual progression shown by Beef To The Heels looked set to gain its reward here . He was ideally positioned, racing prominently on the inside, went on racing down to the second-last and looked to have it sewn up between the last two flights. Perhaps getting a lead for a bit longer would have been more ideal as he found it a very long run-in.

Also on Trefflich's side is irregular TH poster Flame, who was critical on Twitter straight after the race. I'm nothing if not impartial. :p

Also on Trefflich's side is irregular TH poster Flame, who was critical on Twitter straight after the race. I'm nothing if not impartial. :p

I watched the race live and voiced my concerns about the horse before and after the race. It never once occurred to me the jockey was at fault.

With hindsight I think there is little doubt he could have won if he had known there was a threat. Overdid the steadying into the last a fraction too much and was slow to get him going on landing.

Of course if he'd pushed him into the last and he'd fallen down you'd say why the hell did he not steady the horse when all he had to do was jump the last and trot up to the line to win.

I'd take a marginally more critical view than Rory, I'd call it a for-feck's-sake ride as opposed to a headline screaming horror ride.

Back