Giles Hawkins

jinnyj

Senior Jockey
I mentionned this lad in a thread a few weeks ago and I am really pleased to see he is going from strength to strength riding another winner today (six in total this season). Hes only a very young lad and had ridden just the one winner last season from a handful of rides (including the hunter chasers I ride out). He seems to be getting good outside rides too - todays was for Alastair Lidderdale. I was speaking to his father yesterday out hunting and he told me Dave Roberts, the jockeys agent (& best there is) has signed him up so I would imagine there will be plenty more winners to go yet. A lad with a bright future.

TiT won again,blimey.
His boss Philip Hobbs is certainly making use of his claim in the continued absence of Tom O Brien.
First caught the eye winning on Templar and was particularly impressed with his effort on Nampour at Aintree.
Being used to take weight of a few high in the handicap including last seasons' world hurdle third Powerstation last weekend at Chelters and Zanir whom he won on earlier this week at Leicester.

I can't remember if MR is on ATR or RUK, so not sure if I'll see the replay tomorrow or not. Alastair said he thought Giles might be the next AP if he continued to ride so well, and he wanted him to take off his very useful allowance as TiT had a monster burden. She really is going from strength to strength - so pleased I got to meet her at Plumpton 'all that time ago', it seems, when she looked quite a bony, rangy horse - I think she'll always be on the rangy side, but she's strengthened up tremendously since then and is still as sincere and honest as ever. Look forward to watching Giles more closely now!

Surely all his winners under rules have come this season? He certainly only appeared on my radar when riding Templer at Exeter.

edit: he's had seven this season, but did ride one as an amateur in February as jinnyj says.

Last edited:
Oh, stuff - but thanks, Ards. I'd like to have seen the re-run, but never mind. Well, DJ, all sporting heroes are there to be shot at - I'm sure that once upon a time, no-one thought anyone could ever be faster than Jesse Owens or Roger Bannister, and that nobody would ever outserve Stan Smith's 90 mph blast - but that's what top sportspeople are all about: setting up targets for themselves, which are in turn targets for others.

I won't be alive by then, DJ! (You'll have to claim off my estate!)

I suppose that'll depend on whether he gets to ride for overbearingly ambitious trainers, a la Martin Pipe - perhaps there isn't quite that level of fervour around now, or at least not with 'big' owners?

Was very pleased with the ride he gave our horse Dream Alliance at Chepstow although he may have used the whip a little excessively on approaching the run in when the horse was already held. Would have him before RJ anyday .Albeit RJ always happy to provide owners with great deal of advice/opinion after a race.

Giles is a cracking rider. He rode quite a few of my good mates pointers last season and we were always really impressed with him. He used to often come in and school them at home and he always looked a cracking rider. I had a chat with Alastair a month or two ago about using him when he had the chance and they wanted him on Kijivu in a kids race 2 weeks back but he was already retained. When Tit had such a high weight it really was a no brainer and I am certainly in the next AP camp about this lad. Majorly impressed by him and thought despite not getting a win from Out The Black yesterday he gave him a cracking ride. Also very well spoken, listens and takes in and gives great feedback. There is a lot that a number of conditionals could learn from him. His little brother is a cracking rider also, and he should make his name in the pointing fields this winter. A young lad called Matt also works for Hobbs and has just got his amateur's out and I know Emma is keen to put him on a couple of her pointers this winter, Phillip likes him a lot and I know Jamie Snowdon is hoping to find him one or two rides. I will have to find out his surname but he'll be worth an eye out for.

Also Matt Griffith's looks a talented rider of Ron Hodges. Saw him give one of Tony Newcombe's a brilliant ride at Taunton last week.

Matt is a very talented rider. He's gained experience from the point to point scene and is now doing very well under rules. The treble he has secured with a horse like Fortification just shows what he can do.

Matt also local lad who was first introduced to horses by one of our joint masters, Wendy Eaton. She is an incredible lady who provides loads of ponies for local kids ot learn to ride on and takes them hunting, paying for them herself. Matt had no experience at all before Wendy took him under her wing - he came from the local council estate I think. Needless to say she is one proud coach!

Sounds like Giles may be getting the ride on Joe Lively in the Hennessey due to Joe Tizzards injury to his face after a fall on Monday.

Back