Gimcrack Stakes

imagine

At the Start
Just had to give a little mention and congratulations to connections of Shaweel after his win today. Having looked after his dam Cooden Beach as a 3 year old I've been following this colt since he sold at the Yearling sales last year and hoping that he might just show a little bit of ability.
Cooden Beach was the sweetest filly to look after but to describe her ability on the racecourse as 'average' would be a bit of an overstatement. Fortunately Shaweel seems to have inherited a little talent from his sire Dansili and I'm extremely chuffed that he's doing well this season, as I'm sure are the new owners of his Zamindar half-brother who sold last week. Obviously he'd probably have to improve again to be a Group 1 horse but he's already done much better than I'd dared hope for so I am a very happy bunny today :)

I had to watch the race at the local Corals so couldn't hear what Greg Fairley or Mark Johnston said afterwards so if anyone could fill me in it would be much appreciated.

Interesting and always nice to hear from someone who knew the horse or their family too. Proves that you do not always have to have the best bred or most proven mare to breed a good winner. Dansili is great though.

I missed the comments following race too. Hopefully someone else will have caught them.

I wasn't listening with that much attention [was captioning photos simultaneously!] but they were pretty complimentary. Only the biggest races got much attention as there was so much going on this afternoon, and they didn't really cover the race that heavily

This is just the kind of thing which makes our debates on culling poor mares so difficult - it's not always the 'good' mares by any means which do well at stud!

Having looked up the pedigree though she was well bred being by Peintre Celebre out of a Green Desert mare. Sounds a very tempting kind of pedigree to breed from to me. :D

I remember she did have a breathing operation while I was there so that may have explained her poor form beforehand although I don't think she improved that much afterwards to be honest!

Back