Glorious Goodwood

Gamla Stan

At the Start
I've spent about 20 minutes trying to navigate my way around their awful website to find the best way to get there from Brighton on public transport, no such luck. However, I did find this....

https://www.goodwood.co.uk/site/content/horseracing/Race-Meetings_Faqs.aspx

Really broadening racing's appeal with guff like that aren't they? Lee Mottershead would have a fit.

Can anyone else help? Presume Chichester is the nearest station but is there a free bus or anything from there?

There was a bus to the course from Chichester when I went. That was in 2000 like but I can't see why it would change.

Not a free bus if I remember correctly, about £3 return from Chichester to the course I think....

It's typical of Goodwood, a lovely course ruined by absolute Nazis who still think it's 1827. I only want to go to see Ghanaati and it's a great course. Not looking forward to wearing my jacket in sixty degree heat.

Can't tell you how to get there by train sir but we have our own airport....

Unbelievable.

£4.50 return it was when we went a couple of weeks ago to one of the Friday night meetings.

Easy to get to from Brighton Dave - hop on at Brighton (you need the "Southampton Central" train) and get off at Chichester, the bus goes from right outside the station :)

I'd be inclined to email that as a link to some mischievous journo. The RP's probably feeling quite bullish after their major victory in 'ice-cream gate'. I'm seriously struggling to believe that how to file a flight plan should feature at the top of any FAQ's:blink: I'd almost be inclined to ask about how to set a SAM7 battery up on Trundle Hill.

You can of course always go in the scummy area if you don't mind viewing the big screen from the 2-3F markers:lol: I went once and wouldn't touch the place again, but then it's not really set up for the likes of me

Last edited:
'Glorious' isn't my favourite visiting time there, but it's a smashing course on regular racedays - so easy to see everyone in the pre- and parade rings, quick to get around because it's very compact, and plenty of facilities. EXCEPT ATMs!! I was amazed that they don't have them, although apparently there's the possibility of £50 cashback only in the Sussex Bar.

Ah the glory days of that picnic seems a long time ago now that forumites were necking Bolly there :D

It seems decades ago! Time you came down again, m'learned friend. I've still got the wine glasses you left behind, although the cool bag kinda died in the back of the car some years ago! I'll be attending the tri-stud picnic in Car Park 5 afore racing, and falling back for a bracer before trundling home. Regrettably, Songsheet doesn't seem to be able to attend these days, due to as many bovine as equine commitments. I shall just have to eat that extra slice of cake to help out in her absence - damn!

Not everyone has a car, though, Clive. Even a 14 y.o. one! I stayed with a friend in Midhurst last year, so that I could work throughout Glorious. I was asked to assist with Owners & Trainers and looked forward to working with an erstwhile colleague in their main entrance. What I found out I was actually doing was working out of a tiny hut in the car park at the back of the pre-parade ring. After I'd been helped in taking down the winter weatherboarding by a kind security man (and a handy 10p piece), after I'd cleaned down the filthy counter, scraped away the huge cobwebs (but avoided a Mummy Spider the size of a 50p, and as fast as a 2 y.o. sprinter), hoped that Mummy's 2,000 spiderlings would stay on the low ceiling, then mopped up after one rainy morning - why, it was very nearly pleasant! Just made me laugh about the 'other side' of all the duke's box and the affectations of the Richmond Enclosure.

The campervan would probably draw a queue of admirers, Wals - you know they like their 'classics' round there. I thought I had the oldest vehicle on any forum (bar a 1910 Lagonda) - great to know there's one older than ye anciente Protonne!

Really broadening racing's appeal with guff like that aren't they? Lee Mottershead would have a fit.

Does anyone seriously give a shite about any of the guff Mottershead comes out with or give any credence to any of it? The pieces he writes are horrendous and usually absolute bollocks. I refused to read the crap he penned last week about how to improve racing and having been told about bits of it I'm glad I didn't read it. He is patently clueless as to what actually goes on in racing and what definitely ISN'T needed (there should be MORE drivel spouted over the tannoy? What universe does he inhabit??) on the racecourse and in the sport. Then again, considering that on the occasions he does go racing he camps out in the press room with the occasional visit to the winner's enclosure, that's hardly surprising really.

I'm not a big fan of the guy (just used him as an example) but I'm glad he's flying the flag in the RP to improve racecourses and their awful antiquated standards and customer service. Someone needs to.

When the first FAQ of the (probably) second biggest flat festival of the year advises bringing your own plane then something isn't quite right.

Per their site:
"There are regular services to and from London Victoria (1hr 40mins) to Chichester plus the coastal service east to Brighton and west to Portsmouth. A bus service is provided on racedays between the station and the racecourse. Bus service information on 01903 237661.
Please note that the last bus leaves shortly after the last race."

Alright two sentances and a telephone number with no link or website!!!. You've got admit though it terms of their first resposne;

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the best way to travel to the course?

A. The Goodwood Estate has it’s very own aerodrome and with the increased congestion on the roads today, many visitors choose to fly to Goodwood for the ultimate in luxurious, hassle-free travel.

General race days
Goodwood aerodrome is open to both rotary and fixed wing aircraft, has 3 well maintained grass runways, its own Air Traffic Service and refuelling capabilities for both Avgas and Avtur.

Glorious Goodwood event
During Glorious Goodwood week a dedicated heliport is available for private and commercial helicopters to land within the race course itself. A VIP transport service to and from the stands is included in the landing fee. Call 01243 755087 for PPR bookings

Elite can organise to pick you up from a pre determined location and fly you straight to Goodwood aerodrome (only 3 miles from the course). During Glorious Goodwood week Elite can fly you directly to a dedicated heliport within the racecourse itself where VIP transport will be waiting to take you to and from the stands. For further details and bookings call Elite on +44 (0) 800 804 8812 or click here visit their website

Flying In
During Glorious Goodwood week, a dedicated heliport is available for private and commercial helicopters to land within the race course itself. A VIP transport service to and from a dedicated drop off point is included in the landing fee. For further information and to book a PPR slot, please call the Aerodrome Administrator on +44 (0)1243 755087.

It did occur to me that perhaps there was no end of extremist 'best' ways of travelling, and I did conjure up a spectacular fantasy type entrance of my own involving a regal precesion and a train of scantily clad slave girls, but then hey....... I'll leave that for Krizon to try and expand on (I think she'd look good on the back of giant swan myself):)

Most people ask the question 'best way to get there' meaning any short cuts, times fo day, secret parking places. The question normally involves cutting time, avoiding queues, reducing cost etc and we've probably all learnt a few local tricks for various courses now. It speaks volumes of Goodwood though that they can't interpret this question into normal people's requirements and have invokved details of what runways they have complete with hyperlinks and air traffic control (without any sense of irony it appears)

What I object to most is the errant apostrophe in "its" in the first sentence.

It'd have to be a giant swan to carry me on its back - about the size of an African elephant!

Back