Golf Holidays

Melendez

At the Start
While waiting for the cat to come home last night, I decided to take the first tentative steps at investigating the 2009 summer holiday. I know it's a bit early but I like to get it booked before Christmas so I can spend the rest of the year looking forward to it.

Anyhow, sprog has taken a keen interest in golf lately and I have somewhat renewed my own interest in it. Wife wants to go to France and I have no objections there. I found this place ...

http://www.cottages-bretesche.com/UK/index.php

... which seems absolutely ideal. Golf on site, swimming pool, posh restaurant on site, decent cheapish lunch restaurant on site, self catering for when we run out of money, and close enough to the sea. The only problem is we've been to that area before, I'd prefer to go somewhere South of that, probably along the Atlantic coast, but I'd go to the mediterranean if I could get a similar set up to above.

Anyone have any recommendations, personal or second hand?

That place looks really nice !

Sorry I have nothing further to add. I know France pretty well, but not for Golf.

Went to Vilamoura in Portugal in May and had a great time. Played four courses, Millenium, Pinhal, Old Course and Victoria (Portugese Masters played there last week). Stopped at a Hotel I can't remember the name of but was listed as 5* however rooms were 70's syle but I believe it has been bought by a major Hotel group and is being renovated starting in November. Booked through 4golf.com , courses cost a total of 200 euros , hotel was unbelievably 140 euros for 4 nights, all transfers to the courses were free as was transport to and from Faro airport. Can't remember cost of flights with Easyjet but it wasn't over expensive. Plenty of places to eat and drink around the marina and the weather was just about right for golfing. Buggies were quite expensive 60/70 euros but I carried all 4 days so no problem there. Will be going back this May. Plenty of villas out there if you prefer that type of accomodation though you would need to hire a car to get to and from the courses. The Old Course is fantastic and the Victoria is of Championship quality though more Americanised if you like. The Portugese people are also very friendly and helpful.

With a surname like Togoyet, I was sure this post was going to be full of personal insight into French regional lifestyles and suchlike. Then my other brain cell woke up.

The 4golf.com website does look good.

The Costa de la Luz is a fantastic region; it's still relatively untouched, at least in relation to other areas of Spain it is! The beaches are superb, long, white and clean with clear blue seas. The area can get quite windy though so watersports are popular and a day on the beach can be a little trying on the windy days! I've been to nearby Chiclana which was lovely, if very little there at the time bar the hotel!

Inland the national parks are stunning with plenty of animals on show - they are packed with birds of prey; vultures and eagles can often be seen in the skies.

Cádiz is a lovely city with some great restaurants, as is Sevilla. Sevilla is slightly more refined with more to do but Cádiz is nearly as good. I haven't been to Jérez, only driven through it, but it is supposed to be very good and is the home of sherry so is full of bodegas.

Slightly further along the coast towards the east is Tarifa, I'd guess that it's about 45 mins to an hour away. Tarifa is superb, a pretty little Spanish town with loads of great places to eat and superb beaches, a great place to go for a day (or a few days!!) out. Before Tarifa is the old Roman settlement of Baelo Claudia at Bolonia which is well worth visiting. The town was a large producer of garum, the fish sauce the Romans put on almost everything, and the old garum stone containers are still there, where the fish was left to ferment and rot for around a year - must;ve hummed a bit!

Back