Goodwood Day 3

Hamm

At the Start
Not as good day's racing as yesterday, but for me one of the standout bets of the meeting. In the Goodwood Cup, Schiaparelli (5/2) will be suited by the step up in trip, the ground is not too fast and he had much superior form to the rest, such as close efforts in the Prix Foy and Princess of Wales Stakes. Askar Tau is probably next best, but as much as he improved last year, this is quite a few levels up.

7/2 about Borderlescott is probably fair in the Audi stakes, but nothing stands out as yet. Perhaps Moorhouse lad is the one to repeat last year's victory.

Infiraad could be a good thing in the 7f handicap, as the Ascot running was too bad to be true.

First race is the one which interests me most today. Changing the Guard and Roman Republic ran well behind Firebet last time, CtG staying on in good style. River Captain is another I've followed this season and along with Dome Rocket, Hyades and Set The Trend, make up my shortlist.

The Lillie Langtry looks a weak race and I really like the look of Starfala. She has been crying out for the step up to 14f for over a year now. She handles the course and with Cole's in form should be hard to keep out of the first 3.

Interesting 2-y-o debutante in the 5.10.

Pink Symphony is by Montjeu out of Blue Symphony(Darshaan) whose two previous offspring have both been winners. Blue Rhapsody winner of a Class5 7f. maiden on the Polytrack at Lingfield and Fantasia whose early career was very promising but has been disappointing in her last two runs in France.

No great support for the Paul Cole-trained filly on Betfair as yet but it doesn't look the greatest of contests.

A pretty weak day for me, a few small each-way bets seem the way forward.

Sopranist clocked a decent figure for me LTO and with improvement likely, 14/1 looks a tad on the big side.

Ialysos is too big at 7/1, he seems to be getting better and better and whilst Borderlescott is an admirable performer, I'm not sure the gap in class is as big as the prices suggest. Reverence might be worth a stab each-way at this track, suspect it'll suit and he put up a decent effort LTO at Ayr.

Friston Forest could make the frame in the Cup at a tasty price, thought the ground beat him at Newcastle when he was running a huge race for a long way. He should stay and Godolphin second strings make a habit of popping up in events like this.

The other Godolphin runner I like is Khor Dubai in the 4.35, 12s seems big for a horse who finished 3rd lto in a very hot handicap at Ascot and the form has worked out incredibly well.

Smashing performance from Kingsgate Native there. Remarkable that he's turned out to be a lot more than just a very mature 2yo, not to mention overcoming an abortive season at stud.

Yes, very good run (& credit again to Stoute) but first 3 home were drawn in the 3 lowest stalls; looks a very good run by Borderlescott in the circumstances.

While James Willoughby talks about how Caracciola is aiming to be the oldest Group race winner in the history of the Pattern, I wonder if a unique achievement hasn't already been managed today: how many horses have won open Group races at 2, 3 and 4 as Kingsgate Native has now done?

Interesting point. The upside from him not working out at stud is he should be around for many years, and he clearly sets a very good standard when on top form. I wonder would he travel to the states or far east sometime this year?

Shame Mourilyan had to make himself look like a bit of dog at the end there as that was shaping up for a special finish. Nicely done by Schiaparelli, looks like he'll stay further too.

Cheers Colin.

Lovely horse, and I would imagine on ground with no firm in it, he'll be a very good horse for Godolphin in the Cup races. Great attitude.

Smashing performance from Kingsgate Native there. Remarkable that he's turned out to be a lot more than just a very mature 2yo, not to mention overcoming an abortive season at stud.

agree. stoute magic here again as even though he was the "class horse" on last years form his last run was so bad (in hindsight obviously too bad to be true) but full marks to the horse and his handlers. smashing performance.

Back