Goodwood Day 5

Steve T

Journeyman
Let's try and carry some of todays great tipping into tomorrow.... Most importantly though, please let it be dry as I'm going and have forgotten my coat.... :(

Nothing realy standout for me just yet, Heaven Sent & Midday in the big one and if the rain came Valery Borzof in the Stewards Cup, maybe Mark Johnston in the first?

Last edited:
I have done a very crude calculation of going allowances from yesterday's racing. Obviously it assumes both the consolation race and the closing 5f handicap were true-run but it would seem the far side is riding faster. Any rain before the Stewards Cup might alter things, as it did last year.

Ryan Moore, so unlucky on Harrison George, said they were going flat on on his side but were always behind the far side so the percentage call is to go high. Or is it?

I'm giving Rainbow View another chance, especally at this trip. She ran well in the Coronation Cup when hampered and was running well in the Falmouth till she flattened out a bit when not able to quicken with the leaders.

First, some great tipping on here yesterday. Well done and I hope your pockets are bulging.

Secondly, with an aftertiming alert, my current feeling is 'up yours' to the lot of you as I am really pi$$ed off. This week I have worked around 15 to 16 hours a day but whilst winding down before sleeping on Thursday I had a quick look at the card and picked out 2 horses, Illustrious Blue -a horse I follow and have oft touted on here, and Laa Rayb. Starting work at 6.00am it wasn't until I was almost home at 10.30 last night that I remembered. Had to check when I got in and have been in a foul mood since.
Given the above and knowing full well that the Law of Sod dictates that today I will get nowhere near a winner I have had a bit of a ew punt on Buachaill Dona for the Steward's. Six furlongs at Goodwood could be gettable for this one that stats show is better over 5f. Looking at recent runs I get the feeling that the gelding is staying on over 5. Maybe that makes it a 5.5f horse but the going is right and at 16/1 worth a punt from a hopefully beneficial draw.

I've backed Katiyra and Heaven Sent in the Nassau. I expected Katiyra to be among the best fillies at 1m2 this year, and think she can be forgiven her last run in what was a muddling race. Heaven Sent is one of the most consistent fillies around, and although there is a chance she may struggle slightly with the distance, I think with doubts over the front two, she has a good chance, and should place at worst.

Nothing really sticks out among the market leaders in the Stewards Cup, so will have a small bet on Global City at 34. He's drawn next to 3 of the top 4 in th betting, and his last run aside, is very much on the upgrade. Needs to improve more off his new rating, but being 3 and relatively lightly raced suggest this is far from impossible.

Zacinto could blow the others away; both Ashram and Gallagher are probably better over 7f, Donativum i don't see being suited by the track and has a penalty, as had Pure Poetry who is a nice horse but one who you'd imagine others will improve past. It depends whether Zacinto is ready for today; if he is, he wins I think.

Well done yesterday Hamm!

I like Pure poetry for that race, because of the doubts surrounding the others. i think 10/1 is fair enough

I've backed Osiris Way in the Stewards Cup - the stands rail has been fast at the course all year round and IMO he's too big a price for a horse who runs well at the track and in big sprints particularly with some speed on the near side with Fishforcompliments able to tow them along.

At f*cking last!!!

I’ve gone positive with Eastern Aria’s Epsom win and, with her previous win being here, it might be that she excels on downhill tracks. If her last win genuinely flatters her I could be in trouble!

A full point ew at 14/1. Covers all bets for the week with plenty to spare.

The rain will help Valery Borzov no end in the Stewards Cup, it's only a matter of time before he lands one of these big sprints.

If this was a bit of good fortune it was overdue:

Midday was well below form last time but that was in very soft ground and she’s probably the percentage call to return to her best here.

I even got 'best price guaranteed' so what a bonus!

Definitely the low drawn horses have it in the Stewards Cup IMO, half tempted to stick all the horses drawn 1-5 in a combination tricast tbh.

Table 3 – Draw 1-14 (In ratings order)

05 Hitchens 122 29
13 Markab 121 10
06 Brave Prospector 118 40
07 Barney McGrew 118 25
08 Prohibit 118 14
04 Judd Street 117 40
09 Biniou 117 +p 22
11 Knot In Wood 117 16
02 Osiris Way 116 + 50
03 Enderby Spirit 116 20
14 Mac Gille Eoin 116 (119) 18
10 Genki 115+ (121) 16
01 Fishforcompliments 114 33
12 Kostar 114o (120p) 66 (N/R)

I took Biniou this morning as a saver but I can see me going in again now.

(Not sure how that edit didn't work out right.)

Back