Goodwood Friday

Flame

At the Start
Goodwood Day 4

Coutts Glorious Stakes (Group 3)

(Class 1) (4yo+)
£39,739.00
1m4f

A competitive and solid group 3 to start us off on the card and there looks some decent sorts lining up.

Crime Scene was not disgraced on his only start in Dubai when 6th to Gower Song and has since been shaping with encouragement at home. Recently working well with Naheef, he could go well here despite needing the run.

Stotsfold may have not performed that eye-catching of late but he is better than his finishing position dictates in his last two starts. He has been showing some encouragement at home and this trip could bring about improvement. He is not out of this.

Carte Diamond will need some rain and disappointed in the stalls when well fancied in the Old Newton Cup last time. He needs to bounce back to his best to have a chance here and that’s unlikely.

Dansant may have not liked the ground at Sandown in the Brigadier Gerard but he has always looked a better horse on the all weather. On that basis he is hard to fancy.

Diamond Quest found this trip far too sharp in Dubai but was unable to finish his race in the Ascot Gold Cup last time. This drop in trip will help but he may end up better over 14 – 16f. He is another who is hard to make a case for.

Dickens is an interesting international runner but his best form has come on much slower ground than this. Disappointing in Hamburg last time he needs to step up on that effort somewhat to trouble the main players here.

Foxhaven is a proven Listed/Group 3 type and goes on this ground but after a long absence its hard to see him beating horses like Galactic Star who hold him on last seasons form.

Galactic Star despite being a son of Galileo needs quick ground and he has been unsuited the twice he has run on slower conditions at this level. This ground is ideal for him and whilst his Newmarket form hasn’t really worked out, he is working nicely at home. He is the type that likes to come off a good pace and its dangerous to write him off just yet.

Fast ground also suits Lion Sands and you can forget his last run, he hated it. He worked okay at the weekend with Mad Rush and back on his favoured surface he is expected to resume his close rivalry with Tranquil Tiger. He has solid each way claims.

Shahin who was a big improver last term has been well off par this season and is best watched until showing he is capable of better.

Whilst Sixties Icon impressed on his comeback run I’m just not sure. He was dreadful at Ascot and whilst this trip suits better the vibes just don’t get me buzzing. He was driven out to get the better of a much lower rated Checklow last Friday and previous work companion Milne Graden proved a flop earlier in the week. He needs rain as well, and I would be keen to oppose him if under 5/1.

Templestern is a bit of a fav of mine but he needs rain. A strong front running sort he stays well and has been running some good races this season. In good order at home he would be interesting if the ground came up on the slow side of good, but that is unlikely. He matched strides with Tranquil Tiger on Tuesday and you cant fancy one without the other.

Tranquil Tiger is a model of consistency and loves to hear his hooves rattle. He is in good form much the same as Templestern but he doesn’t want the rain. It looks like he may get an easy lead out in front if the softer ground preferred horses don’t run and he should be there or thereabouts.

Summary

A race which is very dependent of the ground but I cant see any rain getting in too much. That would have to bring about doubts with Sixties Icon, Templestern and Shahin who all prefer cut.

Galactic Star is a horse who looks like he could be suited by this track and I would expect to see Ryan trying to produce him late. He looked okay in his recent gallop but I’m not sure he has the class for this.

For me I will take three here, and add Templestern if it rains. Tranquil Tiger would be the pick on fast ground as he could get it easy up front but he has had alot of tough races this season and I wouldn’t be surprised if he had to settle for a minor role this afternoon.

Lion Sands who stuck on so gamely to beat him earlier in the season is one for the bang in form Cumani yard and if he can lay up here when the pack quicken he would be dangerous as he comes home late. That is my fear however and that’s what makes me learn towards STOTSFORD as the selection.

He loves this ground and he has solid form in the book. Don’t look too much into his form figures as 3l behind Mount Nelson, Phoenix Tower and Pipedreamer staying on in the Eclipse is solid form and previous to that he was a decent 6l coming home like a train 6th in the Prince Of Wales behind Duke Of Marmalade and for me he proved that day he needs this extra distance. Reported in good form he has plenty going for him here and I expect him to collect.

Selection: STOTSFORD (9/10) (E/W)

Savers: Lion Sands, Templestern (if rain), Tranquil Tiger (no rain) all Ew.

Lay: Sixties Icon, if under 5/1

Rolf Group Stewards' Sprint Stakes (Handicap)

(Class 2) (3yo+)
£18,693.00
6f

A tough sprint handicap for many but I really like this race as it normally throws up some decent value bets. This week its looked like you need a low to middle draw and that means I will be ruling out stalls 15 – 21 as they are likely to want to take the lone furrow up the far side.

That eliminates Ajigolo (19), Baby Strange (21), Gift Horse (18), Osiris Way (20), Harrison George (16) & Rocker (17).

This could be interesting as I would have expected Baby Strange, Harrison George and Rocker to all be prominent in the betting.

I do like looking at speed figures in sprints like this and of those drawn low to middle, Express Wish, Idle Power, Valery Borzov, Northern Dare and Best One appeal best, this makes interesting viewing a few of these wouldn’t have appealed to me.

Pearly Way (13) looks about 4 – 6lb badly handicapped for me at the moment and whilst he weakened over 5f last time he is a horse I think is better held up over 6f, better with cut, he would appeal more in something like the Ayr Silver Cup.

Valery Borzov (12) could go well according to my figures but in my opinion, he is a little too high. Good wins earlier in the season have flattened out with two runs suggesting the handicapper may just have him at present. Not dropped for either he is hard to fancy.

Dubai Princess (11) despite 5lb higher for her Newmarket win is one I like and whilst figures suggest the handicapper has her I’m not so sure. She won as if the extra distance would suit and her 6l defeat to Brave Prospector at York has worked out well, she got bumped 1f out that day and this trip is worth another try, each way claims.

Express Wish(7) (Top Rated) is the one my figures screams out and the Noseda horses are starting to return to form. He was not knocked about last week and looks well handicapped on his best form. Ground and trip ideal he is certainly a leading player.

Pusey Street Lady (15) is definitely a 5f soft ground sort for my liking. Staying on in the Gosforth Sprint, last time she found little for pressure over this 6f and she does look better with cut. Hard to fancy off 91 and needs to drop a few pounds.

Its only been two months since Obe Gold (8) won and he bolted up that day in similar conditions at Haydock. 8lb higher, he is still well handicapped on his best form for Mick Channon and it would be no surprise if Dandy left him a bit short the last twice when dropped out of his depth. 1lb lower than on both those starts, Alan Munro is a much more eye-catching jockey booking and like any of Dandy’s that have the ability and are well drawn, you would want them on your side.

Dream Theme (2) was a good horse for Barry Hills but had problems. He has dropped from 100 to 89 since joining Dandy but he showed very little last time. Admittedly better over 7f he is still best watched for the time being.

Golden Dixie (14) has won off 3lb higher than this and his last few runs he has at times caught the eye staying on over the inadequate 5f. I would have wanted to see more last time but he was in the wrong place and was looked after. Back up to 6f he is one who goes well here and shouldn’t be underestimated.

I Backed Joseph Henry (10) at Ascot after a pleasing run at Chester but he didn’t look too busy that day, he is now 4lb lower and back on the fast ground he loves, he is bang there on figures if you exclude his last three runs and he is drawn where I think you need to be. Very well handicapped and a strong pilot on top, I’m keen to be with him.

Northern Dare (5) ran very well on his last two starts staying on well and is suited by a fast run 6f but he looks where the handicapper wants him off 87. He has the ability to be just behind those involved but he’ll win when he’s back to 84 or 85.

Idea Power (9) is consistent and is a course and distance winner so has to be respected and he figures very well for me. He is about off a winning mark and should be able to come off a strong pace up the centre where Enticing and Total Impact both won today. The overnight rain if it matures will improve his chances and he is solid each way.

Sand Cat (4) is slipping to a winnable mark but he is disappointing on the whole and wont always go in the stalls. He also is better in smaller fields. I don’t fancy him.

Flying Goose (6) is handicapped to win off 78 and the blinkers may sharpen him up, but he clearly needs 7f and would be better off in a 0-80. Expect to see him running on before collecting soon over 7f.

Best One (1) is another wearing the blinkers but for me he is better over 5f. He has done well since joining Ron Harris but looks high enough in the handicap now.

Swinbrook (3) has crept in here and is interesting. Whilst consistent he ain’t one to do alot in front so a cavalry charge could suit him to spring late here. He is well handicapped on old form with James Toller and I feel he should have won last time off this mark, Royston Ffrench is riding well at present and I would want him on my side.

Summary

A cracking sprint and I would be dutching 7 or 8 of these.

Dubai Princess, Express Wish, Obe Gold, Golden Dixie, Joseph Henry, Idle Power and Swinbrook would be my horses I would dutch and its interesting to see what prices we will get.

The consistency of Idle Power here makes me want him each way for sure and given I’ve been waiting for Joseph Henry he has to go in the savers column.

It may be asking alot of Golden Dixie or Obe Gold to find their best feet so if eliminating any it would probably be them.

Swinbrook may well try to be produced late here and expect Ffrench powering home when it matters but horses who need to be produced on the line don’t always go well in 21 runner open field races and a place is more likely.

Its between the pair then. Whilst I will probably regret this Express Wish gets the chief saver position and I just feel 7f may end up suiting him better. No doubt he’s well handicapped and flying at home but the ground is quick enough and he may lack the tactical pace change of the selection DUBAI PRINCESS.

Officially the highest rated in the race Shane Kelly I’m sure will know how to beat Express Wish who sports visors and the filly is better than her unlucky York run. Last time she won well and I don’t think the handicapper has got her yet.

Save on the 6 if you can, by that I mean dutch them, but main savers come in the names of Express Wish, Joseph Henry, Swinbrook and Idle Power.

Selection: DUBAI PRINCESS (8/10) (E/W)

Savers: Express Wish, Joseph Henry, Swinbrook & Idle Power (E/w)

Totesport Mile (Heritage Handicap) (formerly known as The Golden Mile)

(Class 2) (3yo+)
£93,465.00
1m

Just as you get one majorly tricky handicap out the way, you get another. But that’s what its all about, testing form lines to the limit. My long time Ante Post fancy for this Master Of Arts didn’t get a run but at least we get our vouchers back because he was balloted out.

Illustrious Blue I’m convinced is being lined up for the Cambridgeshire and I think this mile will prove too sharp for him. I can see connections getting him down to around to 100 for the Newmarket feature and that’s when he becomes an interest to me.

Pride Of Nation has certainly lost his way since leaving Luca Cumani and he showed very little at Ascot last time. He needs softer ground to be seen to his best and whilst the handicapper is easing his grip, a few more pounds are needed.

Military Cross is only 3lb higher for a game success at Salisbury and that was pretty much unfancied given the yard thought he would come on for the run and he wasn’t sparkling at home. A big sign of improvement has since come on the gallops and he looked good breezing earlier in the week. Stall 5 is not ideal but he is interesting nonetheless.

Raptor has beaten Mutajarred in a conditions race over a mile but he appears to be better suited to a strongly run 7f on slower ground than this. Disappointing the last twice he is hard to fancy.

Vitznau does promise to win a big one and a strongly run 7f – 1m on good ground is ideal. He shaped nicely behind Atlantic Sport last time and was previously not disgraced off 102 in the Wokingham. He is certainly looking interesting off 100 and stall 9 should see him slot in nicely. Jimmy Fortune ride him at Ascot and knows him now and I think he will be involved.

Dubai’s Touch is quite in and out and looked quirky last time when not getting his own way. I’m not convinced it was a hot race he was 4th in at Sandown and he was flattered to finish so close as they went slow and he was on the front end. He wont get that luxury here and is opposable.

Lang Shining was not suited by that race and done well to only be beaten 4l at the finish. He was impressive wining comfortably at Newbury in a race that threw up a good few winners and found only Mia’s Boy too good at York when perhaps he kicked too early. Drawn out of it at Ascot and a solid excuse at Sandown this horse is not yet proven exposed off a mark of 100. Stall 6 can see him tuck in nicely and on the perfect good ground for him he is another I can see going very close. He has been freshened up since that run and is a big player on my book.

Gold Sovereign was probably fairly treated going up only 9lb for his latest win and the race has worked out well. He is a good work horse at home but he looks better over further for me and will be doing well to get the cover he needs from stall 2.

Dhaular Dhar is one of those horses who runs his race over no matter what trip and in many regards I think he was unlucky at Ascot on Saturday as he got stopped in his run twice before flashing home. Off a 2lb well in mark here the mile could well suit and I would expect to see him arriving late. He should be in the mix here.

Royal Power ran well in the Hunt Cup but the form of those that went close has been let down since, he disappointed the last twice and is hard to fancy.

Regal Parade is another quirky type but for me he is better over 7f. This 1m will find him out and he is worth opposing despite possibly looking handicapped to win a race.

Fishforcompliments is one that can also be easily passed over having shown very little of late.

The same above can be said for Extraterrestrial and Ballinteni but Flipando is more interesting. He was all dressed up with nowhere to go last time and only got going when the race was over. The time before he caught the eye coming home and I just think he could be interesting in a strongly run race.

Masaalek who was 2nd in the Britannia and 3rd to Lovelace looks one of those that’s reached its limit and whilst place claims are obvious I think he will struggle here.

Fifteen Love was harshly treated for his Ascot win and the overnight rain may not seem him have lightening quick ground he is another I would take on.

Huzzah is likely to run his race whilst looking a but high in the weights now, whilst Unshakeable now off a mark of 90 shouldn’t be discounted. He may be his trainers only horse in training but he is solid and ran well at Sandown looking like a return to form was not far away, don’t write him off.

Cape Hawk needs slower ground that this and wont get it, that rules out his chance.

Summary

This really is open and a few are of interest to me. Military Cross is one I can see being about 5th or 6th here but for me there are 4 good ones.

Vitznau in my opinion is ready to win again and this is the trip and course made for him. He has his ground at last and wont be far away.

Dhaular Dhar is another I want on my side as he always finishes to good effect but seldom rarely wins, he has place claims.

Flipando is my cheeky one who looks like he is coming into form and on his last two starts he has shaped as if there is more to come, that’s what I like about him, his profile is good and he has plenty going for him, plus I respect his shrewd trainer.

However for me this can go back with Sir Michael Stoute in the shape of LANG SHINING. I really don’t think he has been suited by the races he has run in of late and this ground is ideal for him, and a few drops of rain wont go a miss. He is tough and didn’t get a chance to prove himself last time. The strong gallop will be made for him and Ryan can produce him when it matters today.

Selection: LANG SHINING (8/10) (E/W)

Saver: Flipando, Dhaular Dhar, Vitznau, Unshakeable (e/w)

Sir Tristram Ricketts Memorial Richmond Stakes (Group 2)

(Colts & Geldings) (Class 1) (2yo)
£48,254.50
6f

Well if we’re still in the Placepot here, I’ll be very happy it seems we will be one step over the top of the mountain.

This is not too hot a Richmond and I’m quite disappointed by the turn out.

Blown It done it nicely on the all weather last time but this requires much more.

Desert Icon relished soft ground last time, so his chances on this surface must also be doubtful.

I’m told Gallagher is one of the better Meehan colts this season and he certainly won with alot in hand last time at Chepstow. Winning in a hack canter he was previously well backed in a maiden won by Orizaba. I do like this colt and he would be on my shortlist.

Khor Dubai is not one of the better ones on the gallops of Godolphin’s and has had to dog deep to win his last two. This is tougher and he is opposable.

For me Prolific is a natural 5f 2yo and whilst he just stayed on at Ascot suggesting 6f would suit I pretty much feel that was as good as he is. Last time he didn’t look to stay the 6f and I would be keen to oppose again.

Reve Du Soleil has been abroad to win his races but this is tougher.

Rileyskeepingfaith is a tough sort and he was a good winner at Newmarket. The 3rd done plenty for the form despite my doubts on Tuesday and this horse is not out of this.

I’m not sure on the Saxford and Saucy Brown Newbury form and the pair didn’t really give me the impression they were group class. I think they will struggle despite this being a bit weak.

Smokey Strom is now exposed and has reached his peak, whilst Total Gallery appeals to me. He looked very classy last time and certainly looks decent. He has a good turn of foot and I think if he can see out the 6f he is a player.

Waffle is unbeaten on his only start for Noseda and whilst he won well, he beat little. His work isn’t that amazing at home and I think he will struggle as well.

Summary

This ain’t hot but a shock it can produce.

I will take three against the field and for me Total Gallery could be the one if he stays, that’s my if and therefore he has to be a saver.

Rileyskeepingfaith has done little wrong in his two starts and unsuited by the ground on debut he won with a bit in hand last time, he can run his race but GALLAGHER is the main bet for me. This horse was fancied in a strong maiden on debut and running very green he left that form miles behind him next time. There is more to come from him and I think he is the class act in the race.
I’m going to Lay Khor Dubai and Prolific, win and place as well.

Selection: GALLAGHER (10/10) (E/W)

Savers: Total Gallery & Rileyskeepingfaith (E/w)

Lays: Prolific & Khor Dubai – Win & Place

Remaining Races

RSA Nursery

(Class 2) (2yo)
£12,952.00
7f

This ain’t a nursery I really like but I’ll take three with me here for a Placepot perm and those will be my bet and 2 savers.

Rapid Release is the pick of the Prescott runners and he has been working nicely at home. He looks well treated on his gallops work and he should of won last time. I would expect him to get involved.

Jazacosta is another who looks well in and he may have been all out to win at short odds last time but he had more in the locker and looks a dour stayer.

However I cant see past the Hannon runner SOHCAHTOA who having been 5th to the classy Orizaba on debut then beat the smart Total Gallery last time out. For me this horse needs this extra furlong and I think the handicapped has let him in lightly. He can collect.

Selection: SOHCAHTOA (10/10)

Savers: Jazacosta & Rapid Release (E/w)

Oak Tree Stakes (Group 3)

(Fillies & Mares) (Class 1) (3yo+)
£39,739.00
7f

This is easily the worse renewal of the Oak Tree in a long time and it looks totally at the mercy of VISIT who ran very well at Sandown and despite being lazy on the gallops gives the impression she has improved. This is not a strong contest and on her form from last season and even on her comeback run she looks different league to these.

Nijoom Dubai has proved disappointing this season but she was not beat far last time and is now back on her ground. More encouraging work of late could see her go well.

The improving Red Dune and Illusion look the only others with much potential whilst Many Colours was too disappointing at Ascot. Of the above pair Red Dune looks the more progressive and she is likely to serve up the only threat to my best bet on the card.

Selection: VISIT (10/10)

Savers: Nijoom Dubai, Red Dune (e/w)

Turf Club Stakes (Handicap)

(Class 3) (3yo,0-95)
£12,462.00
5f

A tight sprint handicap to finish proceedings and this looks a tough one.

For Hollow looks a bit high in the weights for me at present, whilst I’m not sure Cake has trained on.

Good Gorsoon will be suited by the drop to 5f and he hated the ground last time. He was not beat far the time before in a hot race at York and he looks a leading player here for me.

Chartist is one for me that is at the mercy of the handicapper now, whilst Little Pete also looks badly handicapped after numerous solid efforts without success.

Rash Judgement didn’t look suited by 6f and has a chance back at 5f here but he doesn’t look straight forward to me. Cape Vale I would expect to try and make all and I’m surprised Dandy Nicholls didn’t have him in over shorter. He is not short of speed and I think he will go very well back over the minimum trip.

The race Light Hearted ran in last time was hot but the handicapper has not been kind. Whilst First Trim and Piscean look badly treated.

Wotashirtfull has already landed us a couple of decent wins this season but now the ground looks too quick for him and I would want to see him down a couple of lbs despite being back over his trip.

Bosun Breese won hard held last time and the 2nd came out and hacked up next time, A ten pound rise on that evidence is not too harsh and whilst he has the outside draw he should come with a strong late run.

Summary

This is open for me and the performance of Bosun Breese last time would see it hard to beat again but he is bound to be short and he may not be quick enough to lay up with Cape Vale who I think could get a soft time of it out in font here. He shows good early speed in his races and the drop to five will help.

However GOOD GORSOON is better than his mark and he can be taken to improve off two fair efforts last time. He looked to hate the ground last time and 6f was never gonna suit him the time before. He is 4lb higher than when he beat Bosun Breese earlier in the season and after a couple of smokescreen runs he is a huge price at 10/1 to uphold the form.

Selection: GOOD GORSOON (8/10) (E/w)

Savers: Cape Vale (E/w) & Bosun Breese

Placepot

Leg 1: 2 – 9 – 12 – 13

Leg 2: 5 – 6 – 11 – 20

Leg 3: 5 – 7 – 9 – 14

Leg 4: 3 – 7 – 11

Leg 5: 2 – 8

Leg 6: 12 – 16

10p perm = £76.80

Well that completes day 4 of our 5 day previews, tomorrows will be a bit earlier around 4.30pm for Saturday.

Good Luck
Chris

Last edited:
Good work.Chris.Some useful insights.

I've decided to get back into the game today with a toe in the water.

Like your thoughts On Stotsfold which both concur and add to my own.

My other two fancies are horses well proven over the course.

Idle Power is as you say a decent each way bet in the sprint and a little rain would be very welcome.
The same comments apply to Illustrious Blue in the mile.Your comment re the Cambridgeshire is based on sound logic but I'm trying to make sense of his early reapppearance after a race in which he was ridden completely differently to his normal style. As a follower of the horse I'm well used to his very late arrival on the scene over 10f and 12f. LTO according to the RP "held up in midfield, progress on outer 4f out to press leaders 3f out, ridden over 2f out, losing place when hampered 1f out". Could it possibly be that they were seeing if he could still perform at this distance (8f), on this course. He has won here over both 7 & 8 furlongs. At around 25/1 ew might be worthwhile to find out.

Finally I also agree that at around 33/1 Swinbrook has a chance in the sprint.

I am not the one to argue in Dickens favour, as I really do not give him much of a chance myself, but the horse HAS a lot talent and IS a headcase. Things have rarely been right for him, and he might like the twists and turns at Goodwood as it might give him something to think about. Not sure if it was a good idea to take Suborics so, would have preferred to see a jockey on board who knows the track.

I think Diamond Quest is massively overpriced in the opener. Clearly didn't stay in the Gold Cup but it was an encouraging run all the same, still well in touch until the turn. Taking Dubai handicap form back into European pattern races is often a recipe for disaster but there's no denying how well this horse shaped when third over 10f at the Carnival earlier in the year. He was held up and had far too much to under Ryan Moore but stormed home, just finding the post coming too soon. I rate that form as on a par with what quite a few have achieved and think he should be more a 16 or 18/1 chance.

Laid Sixties Icon @ 3.95 but traded out at 4.8. Why is Ryan Moore riding like Jamie Spencer all the time. Abysmal on the second there.
I never used to really factor in the jockey on my flat bets but i`m starting to think I should.

Murtagh is riding exceptionally well right now ~ you tend to forget that good riding is about positioning and delivering your challenge correctly more than about grandstand finishes. He really has made very few errors of judgement when I've been watching this year.

Chris, a great write up, but do you really think Masaalek's progression has plateaued??? I mean, he is a May foal and on the basis of his last two runs surely has more to come? Perhaps I'm wrong. :(

Murtagh is riding exceptionally well right now ~ you tend to forget that good riding is about positioning and delivering your challenge correctly more than about grandstand finishes.

Yep, he was in the perfect position throughout there.

Alan Munro interview - anyone know how old he is? I`m pretty sure he`s younger than me and yet he has some beefy wrinkles around his mince pies. I have none.

You can discount a lot of these because of the draw. I`ve gone for Dubai`s Touch who has an excellent draw, has decent course form and he`ll be quick out of the gate as well.

I am not the one to argue in Dickens favour, as I really do not give him much of a chance myself, but the horse HAS a lot talent and IS a headcase. Things have rarely been right for him, and he might like the twists and turns at Goodwood as it might give him something to think about. Not sure if it was a good idea to take Suborics so, would have preferred to see a jockey on board who knows the track.

I think you are right CH, if a local jock had been up and had got the horse further up with the pace, he might even have won as he was finishing so well. Worth another try on the track imo

Well done EC1. I fancied Masaalek too! - but didn't bet in the race

Last edited:
I just posted aobut Saxford elsewhere, I fancy him a lot too along with TG
I feel if he were from a big yard he would be a lot shorter LOL

TG needs cut, he may be withdrawn if it's not soft enough - not sure how much rain they got last night

I'd rather have Gallagher than Prolific though

ground looks good based on times Headstrong..but the wind could be playing havoc..looks like ground kicking up due to watering though...don't think it is top of the ground by any means

Back