Goodwood punting

Tout Seul

Senior Jockey
Whilst I enjoy watching the top class horses at meetings such as Goodwood, Ascot and York I rarely bet significant amounts on the non handicaps unless there is a big field and the prices are 4/1 upwards. Goodwood normally works out well for me but the first two days were a nightmare. Today luck changed a little in that I managed to lay off in running two decent bets on Caponi and Astrophysical Jet then a small sentimental ew on Illustrious Blue changed my mindset and I put the winnings on Eastern Aria (another that is on my watch list) at almost 20's.

Still I am seriously out of pocket for the meeting. Two handicaps tomorrow and the Stewards Cup on Saturday will hopefully remedy this and at least I'm feeling optimistic once again.

In the 2.45 I drew up a short list of 3. Nicholl's favourite, Victoire de Lyphar, impressive form and he farms this race, Five Star Junior( top weight -in form and 2nd to Astrophysical Jet when beaten on penultimate start-wish Fallon or Ahern were riding) and finally Averoo . The latter cost me a lot LTO having already twice contributed to the pot but is in good form, despite the weight increase may do well. Does not start well but finishes like a train which suits the course( recent win evidence) and has a good draw. Not a banker by any means but at around 25/1 (and possibly much higher in running) is a worthwhile bet.

At 3.25 I have to go for Invisible Man which, ably assisted by Frankie, deprived me of a very big win in the Hunt Cup. This is not a vintage renewal and Sea Lord is a better class than most of these from a yard in form. I'll back both but more on the former.

Would much appreciate thoughts of others especially DO who does rather well on this type of race.

Whilst I enjoy watching the top class horses at meetings such as Goodwood, Ascot and York I rarely bet significant amounts on the non handicaps unless there is a big field and the prices are 4/1 upwards. Goodwood normally works out well for me but the first two days were a nightmare. Today luck changed a little in that I managed to lay off in running two decent bets on Caponi and Astrophysical Jet then a small sentimental ew on Illustrious Blue changed my mindset and I put the winnings on Eastern Aria (another that is on my watch list) at almost 20's.

Still I am seriously out of pocket for the meeting. Two handicaps tomorrow and the Stewards Cup on Saturday will hopefully remedy this and at least I'm feeling optimistic once again.

In the 2.45 I drew up a short list of 3. Nicholl's favourite, Victoire de Lyphar, impressive form and he farms this race, Five Star Junior( top weight -in form and 2nd to Astrophysical Jet when beaten on penultimate start-wish Fallon or Ahern were riding) and finally Averoo . The latter cost me a lot LTO having already twice contributed to the pot but is in good form, despite the weight increase may do well. Does not start well but finishes like a train which suits the course( recent win evidence) and has a good draw. Not a banker by any means but at around 25/1 (and possibly much higher in running) is a worthwhile bet.

At 3.25 I have to go for Invisible Man which, ably assisted by Frankie, deprived me of a very big win in the Hunt Cup. This is not a vintage renewal and Sea Lord is a better class than most of these from a yard in form. I'll back both but more on the former.

Would much appreciate thoughts of others especially DO who does rather well on this type of race.

Over a ten year period i doubt many can turn a profit at this meeting

Always seem to do badly at this meeting for some reason, same with Ascot in recent years too bar one or two big bets or big priced winners pulling it out of the bag.

Goodwood does require an element of luck and all the races seem to be run at furious tempos which kills any prominent ridden horse and the big fields don't help matters either.

Agree with Five Star Junior, think the form of that race is rock solid and her runners are always overpriced at Southern tracks but then I'd also have a few quid on Kellys Eye from the same formline from a very high draw which should suit given the going stick readings from both sides. Wouldn't surprise me if they've been running Sea of Leaves with the handbreak half on too given todays jockey booking and his past record on the horse, 33s looks big. Being able to bet on this each-way for five places with some firms is a massive advantage too.

Thought the Totesport Mile was impossible, rather buy a lottery ticket!

In the last, Little Garcon, Skylla and Ignatieff all interest me but I'll only play the race if 16 stay in close to off time. Skylla is a typical Fahey horse that is tenderly ridden in decent races down the back of the field and suddenly pops up at the big meetings (Low draw a worry though but if there's 16, less likely to split, more likely to come as one down the middle). Little Garcon's run behind Bated Breath looks very good and on watching it back, he's the only one who could go with the winner (Group One bound, excellent time) and Ignatieff won a smarter than it looked race at Redcar last time out, that form from this yard are always going to be overlooked and it will be sent off a false price but again, the draw is a concern though, combined with the front running tactics.

TS,

If you can have a 10/1 and a 20/1 winner and still be way behind over three days punting you need to look at your approach to staking!!!

The Nassau has been a fairly lucky race for me but I have no doubts that I am well behind at Goodwood over the years.

After twenty years I'm down at Royal Ascot and the July meeting and probably levels at York, but well up here. Had some fantastic results in the handicaps. Today's in particular has been very nice and if you fancy one that's well drawn (don't today) you really are getting value as only a handful can win from their draws. Fly to the Stars won this at 16s a couple of seasons or so before his Lockinge win when still in Johnston's stable. Never forget Lochsong romping home from the wrong side in the Stewards in '92. I was in Scotland with a friend to watch Rangers in a friendly against Marseille and watched the race in a Glasgow bookies. It was packed for the race and I got some strange looks as I shouted Carson home in my Lancashire accent. Good times.

Last edited:
Quote TS

Not too shabby!

I can never work out this meeting either. I've had a single bet on Canford Cliffs at 4/5 and won my money by a neck. Had I made other bets I would have lost.

No inspired big-priced outsiders like DO, who missed by a nostril yesterday with his fancy in the first... how galling was that!! :)

Rip Van Winkle has been my sole bet of the week so far but tomorrow I'll be punting Stacelita in the Nassau and Genki in the Stewards Cup.

Back