Goodwood stewards asleep on job

gus

Journeyman
My eye was caught by Ron Wood’s comments in Friday’s Racing Post about the performance of Jean-Pierre Guillambert on Submission, fourth in a fillies’ handicap at Goodwood the previous day: “[Submission]…didn’t get a clear run in the straight, notably around 2f out, and was then given a soft ride by her jockey, particularly in the last furlong, but she still ran on. She failed by just a neck to be placed and it’s likely anyone who backed her to make the first three will not have been at all pleased with J-P Guillambert.”

Having had the opportunity to view a recording of the race today, all I can say is that I totally agree and I am amazed that the jockey’s “effort” hasn’t attracted a great deal more attention. Submission opened at 14s, touched 16s and was then backed down to 6/1 and it’s not hard to imagine that there were plenty with an each-way interest in her. They were robbed. The Post’s race reader’s comments say it all: “poor 7th and nudged along over 1f out, continued to be tenderly handled but kept on inside final furlong to press for 3rd at finish.”

The ride was a disgrace but what defies belief is the failure of the stewards to hold an enquiry. There’s no mention of one either in the Post or on the BHA’s website so I think we can take it that they saw nothing amiss. They must have been watching with their eyes shut.

It was a very poor ride and I said at the time to colleagues that I'd be very surprised if the stewards didn't haul him in for that, deserved the book throwing at him to be honest.

What's new? Stewarding is beyond a joke, there are several rides a week like this which never get looked into.

Ahern's ride on Dever Dream at Lingfield on Saturday was up there too...

Weird how it's always the same faces too... :ninja:

Back