Goodwood - Thursday

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Nice little card today. It will be interesting to see how hard Honolulu can push Yeats getting 5lb in the Goodwood Cup.

Desert Lord is overpriced in the King George sprint. It`s a weak looking race and he has a good record in it (2nd in 06 and ran well with a big penalty last year) Dandy Man should win on all known form but how often have we said that in the past.

Very well done to Chris for tipping up Enticing :)
Tho a horrid rash of non-runners for the rest of the card LOL

He is - what a horse, and what win !! As much as I love Persian Punch , this must clearly be the best stayer we have seen in a long long time .... and I still have a sneaky feeling about october ....

Sargeant Cecil is retired - hurray! Happy hols old boy and thanks for the memories.
I was at York when he won up there - great stuff

Is it official ? Have to put on homepage, but seems a sensible decision. Was even in paris - so more memories to thank him for :)

Was really chuffed that Cecil bows out with Best turned Out too, will mean a lot to the yard. He looked fab this morning and they were hopeful but he has had several little setbacks this year and started in late - and owes us nothing. Will really really miss him though, what a horse.

Meanwhile, Yeats is definitely the best stayer I've seen, and I have always loved stayers. Won that so easy. Noticed Aidan was not there, was anything said about why not? Hoping his Father has not taken a turn for the worse again.

He is - what a horse, and what win !! As much as I love Persian Punch , this must clearly be the best stayer we have seen in a long long time .... and I still have a sneaky feeling about october ....

Along with Westerner I agree.

Along with Westerner I agree.

He`s better than Westerner, his top rating was in the Arc. Yeats would have destroyed Papineau. And to be honest I don`t think Distinction has lost that much form since Westerner beat him narrowly at York.

Yeats>Classic Cliche<Kayf Tara>Westerner

I agree. Yeats is, imo, just ahead of Westerner, these two being easily the best stayers for a very long time.

If we define a staying race as one of 2 miles and upwards, I can't honestly think of one that you could say was better than Yeats. I can go back through horses like Sagaro, Le Moss, Ardross, Levmoss and Danseur, but couldn't really say any of them would beat him if he were at his best.

If we define a staying race as one of 2 miles and upwards, I can't honestly think of one that you could say was better than Yeats. I can go back through horses like Sagaro, Le Moss, Ardross, Levmoss and Danseur, but couldn't really say any of them would beat him if he were at his best.

:D I think I love you. Well, okay not as much as I love Yeats ......

I see Yeats now has an entry in the Doncaster Cup. Anyone think they will decide to go for the Stayer's Triple Crown instead of the Irish St Leger?

I think he would win it, and it has lain unclaimed since Double Trigger won it in 1995, so worth going for.

Cannot blame them for giving him so many entries considering the attrition rate of the race days at the moment due to the bloody rain.

I would think Doncaster is the more likely this weekend with Septimus for the Irish Leger. Yeats would be a lay in The Leger on soft ground and over 1m6f.

Would indeed be great to see him try for the Stayer's Triple Crown. Nice little piece of history if he can manage it.

What does winning the stayers triple crown mean for a horse likeYeats.Very little in the context of his career-3 Ascot Gold Cups,an Irish Leger and a Coronation Cup.

It's ticking a box for all involved. Simple as that. Apart from a Melbourne Cup or a big 12f race (neither of which are realistic), what does winning anything mean for him at this stage?

I think wining anything still means a lot for connections of Yeats. The horse is the best he has ever been and he is enjoying it. You can see that in the way he dances around a bit after he crosses the line. That adds an addition element to winning a race with a horse, even if you are Coolmore.

From rare comments given to the press after Ascot Magnier is delighted that they have something they have not had, or rarely had before - a less complicated racehorse. I don't mean that in a derogatory way for their others either. Yeats has not that much value as a stallion compared with their superstars so less pressure there. They seemed happy to just enjoy the racehorse side of things.

Yeats means a lot to them and okay maybe just a tick list in the cold light of day but it is history too, and it is important that what Yeats has done is remembered so the more he does the better chance of that.

Surely such a nice thing to own and be able to give pleasure to racegoers who just want to see your horse - and especially winning?

I'm not trying to demean it by calling it ticking a box, I mean from the point of view of the trainer and owners they can say "I won a stayer's Triple Crown". Which is a nice thing to be able to say.

Looks like Doncaster is unlikely, and it's a possible run in the Irish Leger (depending on where Septimus is) and the Cadran.

Back