Google Chrome

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Do any of you use Google Chrome as your browser?

If so, have you had difficulty with it in the last 12 hours or so?

It isn't opening for me. I've even tried re-installing it.

Mrs O says she thought she heard something about it on the news.

No specific error messages but it wouldn't open at all last night after about 9pm. I did a system restore to 01/09 and it didn't help.

I've just done a system restore to 25/08 and it seems to have worked. Strange.

It stopped working again almost straight away so I uninstalled it completely and reinstalled it. We'll see how it goes.

Google have been deliberately downgrading on old versions of chrome to persuade people to update

We're also in the middle of a massive cyber war at the moment which peaked on Monday with a DDoS attack that peaked at 300Gbps per sec against a known host. 50 would normally bring a bank down. Any Uk government facility would be shattered within a second if having to absorb this. The result is that global server capacity (including Google) can be switched to fight these blast attacks under protocols leading to loss of internet elsewhere

Last edited:
Having unsuccessfully tried to resolve the issue by restoring to before last night and then to the end of last month I uninstalled Google Chrome then reinstalled it.

Not only does everything seem fine so far (apart from my email looking slightly different with heavier bold type on new mail) but it also seems to have resolved an issue going back many weeks whereby I've been unable to open Word docs just by clicking on them. I've been having to open Word 2003 (which I still prefer to use as all my old work stuff was done in that software), then go into File then find the document to open it. Cost me a few more clicks and maybe 10 seconds or so time-wise each time, so I'm glad to get it sorted.

Hope it stays sorted.

Thanks for all the replies.

Back