Graham Rock remembered........

Unfortunately, Graham Rock isn't very much remembered, Colin. Even I'd forgotten how long ago it was that he died - 8 years! Saw him a few times at Brighton, shrivelling away as the cancer ate him up - not that he was any size, anyway - to a death's head, but still gamely visiting. Wouldn't have hurt the RP too much, I'd have thought, to have run a decent race for him at Ascot, but there you go.

I thought he seemed a charming and self-effacing chap, and everyone I spoke to who knew him and was so sorry when he died, seemed to reiterate that. He was very erudite and it seemed desperately sad to lose all that knowledge accrued over a lifetime, wrapped in a nice personality.

I loved him, he was a great inspiration to me. One of those special characters who make racing interesting. I credit him with introducing me to several vices, horseracing :)..... owning racehorses :<3:.... and betting on them :confused:. I even went to Ireland after he died to check on his old mate Pasternak who was standing there in those days. His death was cruel, he loved life so much and lived it so well. Unfair end but he died with great dignity and I think he found a certain peace. He did a lot more for racing then he is remembered for. I hope that he is not forgotten as time moves on.

If that pm is about what i think it is, Ive had a bit of a brainwave too....

eta, my knowledge of him is sketchy to say the least. I know his name, and I remembered that it was the big C that he died from, but that was about it. Sad though, from what ive read, sounds like a lovely man, and a decent journalist.

Last edited:
Anything I could say about him would not do him justice, really he needs to be remembered by his own words. He was so talented.

There are a LOT of people who got where they are today by hanging onto his shirt tails. He was always sharing what he had and helping people.

This is, I think, one of the best he ever wrote, only a few days from death he had lost none of his skill, his wit or his sense of humour. A rare being.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2001/nov/18/horseracing.comment

Anything I could say about him would not do him justice, really he needs to be remembered by his own words. He was so talented.

There are a LOT of people who got where they are today by hanging onto his shirt tails. He was always sharing what he had and helping people.

This is, I think, one of the best he ever wrote, only a few days from death he had lost none of his skill, his wit or his sense of humour. A rare being.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2001/nov/18/horseracing.comment

This is a fabulous article, I really enjoyed reading it.

Immensely poignant last few lines - thanks for that, Isinglass - a lovely last reminder of a thoughtful and decent man.

Back