Grande Steeplechase meeting - Auteuil

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
Some of the lustre has been removed from Prince Oui Oui's record, but I reckon he can bounce back in the Prix De Longchamp on Sunday - especially given the absence of Bel La Vie.

Kauto Stone looked just a shade short of the best of the French juvenile hurdlers, but put up a seriously good performance in his maiden chase, and is certain to go close in the Ferdinand Dufaure.

The big race itself, once again, has failed to draw a single entry from the British Isles, and looks a formality for Remember Rose, who can put a couple of defeats over inadequate trips behind him.

A bit gutted I'm not going. :(

Gutted I won't be there either Grassy - Prince Oui Oui has a lot of making up to do in fairness.

Bel La Vie was travelling very well when he came down in the Cambaceres and is being saved for next month. Tarla from Mullins stable has been pulled out of the race.

Was looking forward to seeing Surfing contest the Ferdinand Dufaure but he's been pulled out at the latest declaration stage. Kauto Stone was very impressive over some previous winners and horses with useful form (most notably a horse of Macaires) and I think the race could be between him and Saint Du Chenet who has impressed me recently. Worth noting that Long Run's sole Chase defeat in France came in the Ferdinand Dufaure last year so there's always the possibility this will come too soon after Kauto Stone's debut and he does lack the experience of the likes of Saint Du Chenet, Kriss William and Allen Voran.

Pass Me By was originally entered in the big race but has been pulled out - the absence of Or Noir De Somoza and Mid Dancer plus a couple of very good 4yos from last year in Mail De Bievre and Rubi Ball has also taken some of the lustre away from the race but Dayladam ran well when ridden for a place in the French equivalent of the King George back in December - if he's ridden like that again I can see him placing at a big price.

The Prix La Barka is an interesting race too from a British/Irish point of view with Deutschland (Paul Townend) and Thousand Stars (Katie Walsh) both competing. They'll have their work cut out to get the better of Questarabad who continues to impress (despite the odd mishap) and on his day nothing in France can get near him - he's back up to a more suitable trip now and really wants 2m5f+. The rest of the French hurdlers are pretty average, Portal's Toy took this last year from Questarabad but PT has been off the boil since taking the Prix De La Gascogne over fences at Auteuil late last year including when falling back over hurdles last time out.

It's probably as well PRINCE OUI OUI isn't running, if Chapman's in ATR's booth. We'd never hear the end of him falling about at his own wit with lavatorial references - "backers of Prince Wee Wee have taken a bath", "your money's just gone down the toilet", "he's good, but is he just a flash in the pan?", "punters are flushed with success" - thank heavens for small mercies.

Back