Grands crus....Gold Cup or Sun Alliance?

harry

At the Start
I was there for the Gloria Victis tragedy right next to the fall and that was horrible.

The Sun Alliance has also left its mark in many young horses also and given that this years Gold Cup bar Long Run is the most open I can remember, would it be foolish not to have an open mind if Grands Crus gets more Cheltenham experience and looks good enough?

Im of the opinion that the GC on balance is a safer race (as far as any races are safe) with much less chance of being brought down and bumped about - so Im in the open mind camp - with the proviso that he has at least two more runs before it, preferably at least one at Cheltenham. Much as im not a MP fan, he didnt deliberately send GV out to die - and David isnt one for doing things unless hes convinced it should be ok.

I hope they do not run him in the Betfair . I am strongly against running novices in Grade 1 all aged chases . GV and B or S just two examples but I think Lanzarote was a novice too .

Carvills Hill was another example.I would run him once before Christmas in a meaningful race,then back for the Gold Cup trial at Cheltenham in late January.Alternatively the Aon can be soft enough.

Just think that this is an extremely weak Gold Cup with only Long Run to beat...Kauto and Denman not improving, weapons Amnesty out Imperial gone Diamond Harry injury prone.

Long Run has got to get there yet too!

Bet Nicholls would love to send Big Bucks to the Gold Cup

This is like saying it's a weak looking Derby before the 2000 Guineas is run. Way too early to tell.

Check the betting

Re your comparison, the 2000 is a chance for young horses to surprise and the derby is still unexposed horses...the Gold Cup is usually horses who we all know and the new crop aren't there at the moment through injury etc. if Long run didn't make it,where is the next "buzz" horse?

Last edited:
Irrelevant. Bookies know some people will get caught up in the hype and back the horse. It's the England football thing - offer any price because there are always mugs who'll bet without consideration of true odds. The horse should be 50s.

if Long run didn't make it,where is the next "buzz" horse?

This time last year Long Run had just been beaten in a Handicap off a mark way below 160 - it's just too early to tell. To answer your question Quito de la Roque, Time for Rupert and Captain Chris are horses with very bright futures imo.

Irrelevant. Bookies know some people will get caught up in the hype and back the horse. It's the England football thing - offer any price because there are always mugs who'll bet without consideration of true odds. The horse should be 50s.

No Euro, check the betting re the race,not Grands Crus.......5/2 Long Run, 16/1 the field. Weak race bar the favourite....Relevent!!!!

Last edited:
That's because last year's novices haven't shown their cards thus far this year. There was always going to be a void once Kauto and Denman exited stage left but it's just too early to call it a weak race yet.

This time last year Long Run had just been beaten in a Handicap off a mark way below 160 - it's just too early to tell. To answer your question Quito de la Roque, Time for Rupert and Captain Chris are horses with very bright futures imo.

long Run was beaten in a handicap but was still the hype horse before and after that race from the RSA before with Punchestowns

The horses you mention are horses with very bright futures but the likes of Weapons Amnesty are the ones were missing

That's because last year's novices haven't shown their cards thus far this year. There was always going to be a void once Kauto and Denman exited stage left but it's just too early to call it a weak race yet.

Ok I take your point ....it doesn't look as strong as usual;)

Long Run for me actually enhanced his Gold Cup claims with that run, given that it was light years better than his pipe opener last year. 11/4 quite tempting.

I do however agree with the Grand Crus comment as actual proper contenders for the Gold Cup have been reduced today with Harry and Rupert running so poor.

Last edited:
Would be giving the Gold Cup serious thought after Long Runs performance there

Long Run has run a remarkable race today really..made some serious errors today and will probably not be 100%...and yet he is still 10lb better than the rest of em bar Weird Al. When 100% fit..LR is probaly 10+ in front of him too

but..he is only one horse..who makes errors..so who knows?

Long Run for me actually enhanced his Gold Cup claims with that run, given that it was light years better than his pipe opener last year. 11/4 quite tempting.

I do however agree with the Grand Crus comment as actual proper contenders for the Gold Cup have been reduced today with Harry and Rupert running so poor.

I really would love to see Grands Crus entered for the Pillar in Jan at Cheltenham to see if he's good enough and give him more course form.........and see if McCoy can ride!!!!

Last edited:
yes probably right..if he mirrors last years jumping improvement through the season its very difficult to see what will beat him..unless it is actually himself

If Nicholls trained him I would lump on now, but I'm not convinced about Henderson's ability to get horses to the Festival year after year. See You Then was a bit of a freak.

Back