H. Johnson/O'Regan split

krizon

At the Start
News not quite yet fully confirmed that Howard Johnson and Denis O'Regan have split. ATR carrying the story and Matt Chapman hoping for a fuller story, but mentioning how often HJ has waved goodbye to jockeys over the years, and musing as to whether Graham Wylie has any input in these decisions or not. So, who'll be next for the mainly temporary slot, I wonder?

Maybe he was keeping his retainer fee for next season in his house? I think his comments after O'Regan was overweight in the County hurdle put him odds on to get the door. Brian Hughes is the obvious choice, could be the makings of him. he would have the right attitude that Wylie's demand.

I think his comments after O'Regan was overweight in the County hurdle put him odds on to get the door. Brian Hughes is the obvious choice, could be the makings of him. he would have the right attitude that Wylie's demand.
I don't know if he was riding to orders but I thought O'Regan gave Arcalis a dreadful ride in the County although I'm possibly talking through my pocket. (I only had a small win bet at very long odds but had a decent place-only bet (11/1) which came up.)

I don't know much about Hughes. It's the kind of name that would have me checking out strike rates before punting but he was brilliant on a winner at Aintree. (Name escapes me.)

Then again, any jockey can look brilliant on one instance. Even Richard Johnson has been brilliant once or twice a season.

Last edited:
Always Waining was the horse he won on in the Topham. Brian Hughes is an excellent judge of the formbook which obviously means he studies his races before and afterwards and he is on a steep upward curve in my view. He has a 10% SR for the past three seasons.

2010 43-425
2009 50-490
2008 39-407

Last 5 seasons
Swinbank 48-228 - 21%
Howard Johnson 14-149 - 9%

Good research, Gearoid. I thought he did a cracking job on 'Wain' - horse I've always liked and good to see how well he tackled the obstacles.

He did a pretty good job on No Panic for us yesterday also,although I like Dennis very much. But Tom O`Brien and Richard firmly in the saddle if they are available.

Confirmed a couple of hours ago. Where now for Denis? If you are an up and coming jockey riding for Whyle seems to be a good short term job but bad in the long term. He certainly had some highs but in fairness some of his mistakes, notably Folkestone riding a finish early and the county hurdle makes the decision very unsurprising.

Ive no doubt but it seems riding for him is a no win situation. I suppose though that the same could be said for riding for JP McManus, its just that he was never going to part company with McCoy. The flat is no different with any number of jockeys getting the boot from owners. Is it easier to be retained by a trainer than a big owner?

RP 18 04 10 4.58pm

THE partnership between Denis O'Regan and Howard Johnson has come to an end, with the trainer revealing on Sunday that O'Regan's retainer with his main patron, Graham Wylie, will not be renewed.

O'Regan was given a three-year contract by Wylie in 2007, but the owner does not intend to retain a jockey any longer.

Johnson informed O'Regan of the decision on Saturday evening, and told the Racing Post: "There is no bad blood between me and Denis, and I wish him the best of luck, but Mr Wylie is not going to retain a jockey any more.

"I will use the best available jockey at Hexham and Perth this week, and Brian Hughes, Wilson Renwick and Ryan Mania will be riding for me."

O'Regan, who replaced Paddy Brennan as Johnson and Wylie's number one, has won the Ladbrokes World Hurdle on Inglis Drever and Irish Independent Arkle Trophy on Tidal Bay for them, and last weekend finished runner-up on the Dessie Hughes-trained Black Apalachi in the John Smith's Grand National.

ORegan is a fine jock imo I have been seriously impressed with him since he's been over and its H Johnson's loss than the other way round.

Have you heard anything, Nora?

He has been taking a lot of outside rides recently, so maybe was already feeling the need to extend his contacts.

Have you heard anything, Nora?

He has been taking a lot of outside rides recently, so maybe was already feeling the need to extend his contacts.

I haven't heard anything. I just wonder how much longer Carberry will go on and would see O'Regan as a possible long term replacement, given his connections with the yard.

Back