Haldon Gold Cup

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Go Oh Crick 10-5 and a real improver last year .

Have AP and Nicholls fallen out since his book :confused:- normally if Walsh is off AP is turned to for rides in biggish races.

Meanwhile anyone know why Bouggler ran such a dreadful race yesterday considering his Punchestown and Aintree form.

Have AP and Nicholls fallen out since his book :confused:- normally if Walsh is off AP is turned to for rides in biggish races.
It's far from the norm for AP to ride for Nicholls in such circumstances - as an average of ten rides per season in the last few years demonstrates.

I think the track and time of the year might suit imsingingtheblues at 11/1 each way. Not especially well weighted, but I don't see any who really are. Planet of Sound also tempting but seems to find 1/2 too good for him whilst always running well.

I don't fancy at all Twist Magic (weight, dodgepot), Nacarat (trip), Mahogany Blaze (not good enough off current mark), Ashley Brook (any number of reasons), Cornas (high enough in weights, fell lto).

Oh Crick could run well if he keeps improving - still though 19 pounds up is a lot for two, admittedly impressive wins.

Nacarat is tempting. He was beaten first time out last season though on this course. Obviously he's progressed mightily since then but it puts me off slightly.

No -in particular he has ridden Jim Lewis horses such as Oumeyade. He rode TM in the Desert Orchid Chase last year - admittedly not that successfully.

Yes, you're right - I can remember Lewis (connection from the days of Edredon Bleu of course) and Smith specifically wanting him put up. Not sure were there too many other owner's horses though.

Moreover - although it is correct that AP has ridden only 40 times for PFN over the last 5 years - 21 of those rides came last year .

Yes, you're right - I can remember Lewis (connection from the days of Edredon Bleu of course) and Smith specifically wanting him put up. Not sure were there too many other owner's horses though.
The owner he's ridden most for is actually Andy Stewart.

Was very pleasing to see Twist Magic stay on into third place. Think the front 2 are really good. Planet Of Sound looks bigger and stronger this season.

Hope Nacarat is okay, he did look as if something might be amiss or maybe he needed the race.

Last edited:
Back