Haradasun

Don't get yourselves too excited. The news from the endless grapevine of racing downunder is not very positive in respect of this horse. Its believed he will retire immediately as he now has a condition called Anhydrosis.

Anhydrosis is the inability to sweat properly. The sweat glands shut down when most needed, and the horse will as a result pant excessively for hours like a dog, but unlike a dog who is losing heat, rectal temperatures will be dangerously high.
The immediate treatment for the distressed, anhydrotic horse is to replicate sweating by hosing and placing under a fan or in a current of air. Various dietary supplements have been claimed to assist the condition, including one containing an amino acid specifically involved in sweat gland stimulation and which seems to be affecting a cure in some cases. Most horses cease to display the symptoms anyway once the cooler weather comes or if they are moved to a lower humidity climate. Air-conditioned stables are a solution, though an expensive one, with their own set of management problems.

If it is true (and the source of where this information has come from is quite accurate), sadly the horse will never be able to race again, as there is no cure.

It might also explain for his poor performance in the LKS MacKinnon Stakes on the first Saturday of Cup week.

He left on 11th December to Ireland. But this has been something discussed on one of the prominent Australian Racing Forums.

Its a grapevine story, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. As I remember in the past, the horse's half brother, Elvstroem had his own share of problems with cooling down.

Thanks for that. Its just I had heard he had arrived before Christmas so when I read your posting I thought I might have heard wrong and that the problem was detected in Australia.

Might sound stupid...but if its a sweat problem or a problem with the glands might this have been made worse by the hotter climate of Australia? Perhaps one of the reasons they moved him to Ireland?

Its not stupid, because its something people here have been asking. Though the question people have asked why would he be suffering such a condition when the weather in Melbourne at most times during the year is mild, and is a "four" seasons in one.

The horse has never been prepped in the summer down here, so the jury is still out Gal.

Personally I hope its all a myth.

And he is already advertised as a new stallion in Australia for this coming breeding season, so I guess whatever happens, will be retired to stud after Royal Ascot.

Thats a bit odd when you consider that its very likely he will only improve as he acclimatises. Was sure they would give him a shot at America as well.

Didn't the same thing happen with Ad Valorem, only for them to change their mind when he actually won the Queen Anne?

So I take it Anhydrosis is not an hereditary affliction?
If it were, I'd think Australia would be the last place to stand him - were he to stand at all

I guess he doesn't have. Next question, how will feet stand up.

I believe he was scratched from the Group 3 race tonight, and races in the following couple of weeks in the Lockinge, as originally planned.

Declared to run tommorrow in the Amethyst. Looks like he's been taken out of the Lockinge though.

I presume he's best on a good, fast surface, Grand Armee?

O'Brien sends Haradasun straight to Lockinge

by Thomas Deane

A SPARKLING training gallop by Haradasun at Ballydoyle on Saturday prompted trainer Aidan O'Brien to scrap plans to tackle the Group 3 Amethyst Stakes the following day and aim higher, reports the Herald Sun in Australia.

Haradasun's much anticipated first-up run for O'Brien will now be in the Group 1 Juddmonte Lockinge Stakes over a mile at Newbury on Saturday.

Fank Tagg, who retains a half-interest in Haradasun, said O'Brien was glowing in his assessment of Haradasun's Ballydoyle gallop at the weekend.

“I spoke to Aidan on the phone....it sounds like it was a pretty special track gallop,” Tagg said.

“It prompted them to change tack immediately and head for the Lockinge.”
Tagg said Coolmore would be anxious to win a Group 1 such as the Lockinge.

“They have a huge investment in the horse. He wouldn't be running unless they were supremely confident he'd run well,” he said.

Johnny Murtagh rode Haradasun in his weekend gallop and will ride the entire for the first time at Newbury.

Tagg will miss the Lockinge but arrive in England two days before the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot on June 17.

“The Queen Anne is our ultimate goal,” he said.

Haradasun is as short as 6-1 for the Lockinge with Boylesports, who make Cesare the 3-1 favourite.

I was thinking myself yesterday that it was such a warm day and the horses where sweating up that they didn't want to expose him to the heat and that's why he got a stone bruise :rolleyes: According to that he's so good he doesn't need a prep race.

I thought the reason for him not running was a temperature. I was at the races yesterday and thought I heard that but stand to be corrected.

It raises a very very serious issue though. If he had a stone bruise or temperature, how did he put in such a good gallop? I know he might have gotten the stone bruise on Sunday morning and the gallop was Sat but no-one would put their horse through a serious gallop the day before a race! Sounds like they took him out of race, made an excuse but that owner went blagging in Oz. The Turf Club should take a serious look at this as it goes on far too often in Ireland.

For the amount of stone bruises that their horses get, methinks Ballydoyle could do with a few yard brushes norty

Yes Cantoris that's what I was alluding to, it says stone bruise in the post but what ever the reason it needs to be looked at. We all know it goes on, but withdrawing the horse with a false excuse and than flaunting it in public is a bit rich. But as usual, when Ballydoyle is involved exactly nothing will happen.

They didn't really flaunt it in public though - it looks like they forgot to make sure the Aussie connection kept schtum! Quite funny in a way.

Back