Has the Euro altered your plans?

harry

At the Start
I'm not going to Punchestown for the first time in 8 years because the Euro rate makes it just too expensive. Roughly 10 euros for 2 pints? Absolute joke!!
Are the Irish looking forward to a cheaper time coming over here?

Are the Irish looking forward to a cheaper time coming over here?

Well half the fucking country seems to be doing their shopping in Newry these days, so there's no need to go over the water!

Perhaps this thread should be in Chit Chat BTW?

Try living in Dublin pal. It's not so much the Euro, just symptomatic of the way of the world here over the past decade or so. The Vintners recently agreed on a price freeze and looked for congratulations - they're feeling the pinch now for their exorbitant prices. Can still get a pint in many other places around Europe for 2 or 3 euro...

No this thread is about racing.

Punchestown costs more now from over here because of hotels and tickets and betting (and drinks) all cost Euro which is now equivalent of 1/1

What I mean by coming over here is that accommodation and drinks for Racing related trips are cheaper now than before because you get more £ for your Euro.

I think the impact will be seen at Cheltenham. There are a lot of Irish people who will not go to Cheltenham this year because money is scarce. When you take four days accomodation, club tickets, flights and meals the trip comes to about £700-1,000 which would be 50% more last year in euro terms. So lots would be put off by that. But now with parity it makes a huge difference. For example, I travel quite a lot to the UK and was on the train before crimbo and saw a coke on the menu for £1.30. Over here that would be €2.50 on a train. also, I reckon a good few people will take a break in London. Hotel prices are going to fall through the floor and with cheap flights and parity, it will be much more afordable to go to London for a weekend.

PS was at Punchestown on New Years Eve and Dick o'Sullivan, course manager, was telling people to forget the recession and they would be announcing the sponsors over the coming weeks. How the hell can you forget the recesssion!!

Back