Hayley Turner

Gamla Stan

At the Start
I know there's a thread on here about her but that descended into bickering about other jockeys so here's a nice one...

She now just needs 1 winner to become the first female jockey to ride 100 winners in a year after her win on Newlyn Art. A fantastic achievement and I hope she gets that winner today or tomorrow. A great jockey and I hope she starts to get the rides in the big races she deserves next year.

She is having a fantastic time ....unfortunately I feel the need to lay her every time I see her on a short priced fav.

Great stuff from Hayley - wouldn't be dong that in a hurry that's for sure Luke. Think she's as good as any of the top blokes out there and is getting better all the time.

Thought she rode the most amazingly confident race on Aeroplane when it won at Lingfield on Sunday, although it brought comparison with Jamie Spencer from the commentator, make of that what you will!

I didn't see that but I backed Aeroplane the time before when Spencer was on and although you couldn't really fault him for the ride, the horse seems like an absolute pig and I can't help thinking Hayley's style helped him get up. Needless to say, I was pretty miffed I didn't keep the faith and trust him one more time.

Ridden the winner of the 6.50 Wolves, might be a stewards though, Matt Chapman says no way in the world she'll lose it, that's ok then....

Excellent, terrific achievement and she's single handedly improved the way female jockeys are treated by her talents.

Hayley Turner received a rousing welcome from the Wolverhampton crowd after becoming the first woman to ride 100 winners in a calendar year.
Partnering Mullitovermaurice in the Bet At ladbrokes.com Claiming Stakes, Turner secured her place in British racing history as the 7-1 chance hung on for victory in the extended mile event.
She said: "It's brilliant. I'm really pleased and glad to have done it tonight so I don't have to worry about doing it tomorrow!
"My agent Guy Jewell has done a fantastic job and he was insistent I was going to do it, so I owe it to him over the last few weeks.
"He's done a fantastic job and I'm lucky to have him."
Turner always had Mullitovermaurice in the front rank and although Turner's mount drifted across the track in the straight, the James Given-trained runner just held the late thrust of Betws Y Coed by a neck with True Britannia a further head back in third.
The stewards handed Turner a two-day ban (January 13 and 14) for careless riding but the suspension could not dampen Turner's enthusiasm.
"When I started as an apprentice at Michael Bell's it was difficult for him to get me on some of his horses but I'm very grateful to him and everyone else who has helped me along the way," she told At The Races.
"Gerard (Butler) has been very good to me as well and has not been frightened of putting me up on his better horses and I've tried to grab the opportunities when I can.
"It would be nice (to be offered a job as a stable jockey) but everything has happened gradually for me and hopefully it will snowball next year.
"My aim is to ride better quality horses in bigger races and see where it goes from there."

Remember the guy she shared the apprentice title with in 2005? Saleem Golam has won just 69 races in the 3 years since then. A measure of the achievement in becoming a successful rider without having a claim, never mind all the unfortunate hulabaloo that follows her around because she's female.

Fair play to her, great effort. Never hear the end of it though...

True Gal but rightly so in my opinion, it is a great achievement and this sport is so backward at times it's good for her to prove her critics of a few years ago wrong. 3 or 4 years ago, some trainers were sceptical about putting her up simply because she's a girl and I hope this has shut them up.

I do feel for Saleem, who's a nice guy and a good rider. I sometimes feel he may suffer from more prejudice than Hayley did, he doesn't get nearly enough rides. A jockey needs good horses to improve - Hayley is lucky she was apprenticed in a very good yard with a lot of decent horses, and she learned a lot from that

She's the full package though - talented, dedicated and extremely personable and pleasant to all. A fully deserved success for her

What an inspiration Hayley is to other girls who want to enter Racing .....Well Done and Good Luck for next season :)

Back