Hebridean

Sheikh

At the Start
I'd say someone feels like cutting their own off for cutting him. A €15k purchase from the Tatts Ireland November Nh sale from the family of Beef Or Salmon. A tough family with plenty of black type over jumps.Hebridean is a group 3 winner now and is improving.

2005 (January 30) b g HEBRIDEAN (IRE) by Bach (IRE)
bred by Whisperview Trading Ltd

2006 Filly, Died by Flemensfirth

2007 (May 3) b c by Westerner

2008 Westerner

I'd say the mare visited a flat stallion this year !!

I was thinking about him on the way out for my coffee this morning.

He looks like a real fun horse for the next two years. It would be very interesting to see how he gets on over staying distances, as I cannot see O'Brien running him in too many G1 races over shorter than 12f (mainly because he might beat a stallion prospect).

And maybe he wouldn't be the horse that he is if he hadn't gotten the chop.

Good points, maybe he inherited behavioural issues through Dr Massini. I'd say they might sell him to the far east for the reason you mentioned. They wouldn't like him to show up one of their chaps with his tackle still intact.

The other interesting point is that Bach was a good honest performer and went straight to stand as a NH stallion as have Westerner, Scorpion and mountain high.
IMO those guys deserved a shot with the fancy flat mares.

In England, races like the Ascot Gold Cup used to be off limits to geldings but that's changed reasonably recently; it's just the classics now.

In England, the St James Palace, Middle Park, Dewhurts and RP Trophy are also closed for geldings.

That is correct, on the grounds I suppose that at least some of these races are the principal trials for the Classics

Be nice to see him in a race like the Belmont.

Nothing to lose really and could be a nice boost for his sire.

The Arc is not open to geldings. It is fairly recently that the Abbaye has been. Nuclear Debate couldn't run in it as a gelding in 2000 but could the following year when it unsurprisingly attracted a record field size.

Back