Hi All!

Spain

At the Start
Hi all. Martin invited me to come post here. He was trying to explain about your jump races. I'm from Ohio in the United States, currently a student in college. It'll be nice having a Euro board so if Spain's 2yo, Carpocrates actually does something as a race horse, some of you may know. Look forward to learning more about racing outside the States.

Heya Cynthia.
Glad you found us (after i mistyped the addy about a million times). Fingers crossed for Caprocates and welcome aboard :)

Martin x

Two spellings for the horse's name - which is correct? :blink: Welcome to the forum, Spain. I'm confused that you're from Ohio but called Spain... are you very much 'from' Ohio, and living in Spain? And what's this 2 y.o. about - is he your own horse?

Originally posted by krizon@Dec 5 2005, 12:27 AM
Two spellings for the horse's name - which is correct? :blink: Welcome to the forum, Spain. I'm confused that you're from Ohio but called Spain... are you very much 'from' Ohio, and living in Spain? And what's this 2 y.o. about - is he your own horse?
No, no I'm from Ohio in the United States. Spain had been the leading female money earner until she was passed by Azeri and Ashado. She also happens to be by one of my favorite horses Thunder Gulch. Carpocrates is her 2yo colt by Storm Cat. He was sold at Keeneland September in 2004 and sent overseas. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm very easily confused, Spain, as you'll find out if you stick with us on here! :lol: THUNDER GULCH was a fantastic racehorse - unfortunately, there are not a lot of specifically US racing fans on here, because so many people prefer the grass to the dirt, but several folks on here are quite clued-up about some American horses.

However, we are coming on apace in England with raising levels of prize monies for our dirt (we generally call it AW, for All Weather) race meetings. Within a short while, we should be getting our first G1 AW races sorted out. It's taken a while for both courses and trainers to realize that AW doesn't mean an inferior product to the turf, in terms of the horses which take part in them.

We have Lingfield Park (Polytrack, turf Flat and National Hunt - or jumps, day meetings only); Wolverhampton (just gone to Polytrack, Flat only, day and evening meetings); Southwell (Fibresand - lots of kickback, very messy, Flat only) and shortly we're getting AW courses at Great Leighs in Essex (an entirely brand-new course, designed from scratch, day and night meets), while Kempton Park is also introducing an AW track with floodlights for night meetings.

I hope you enjoy our jumps meetings, Spain. We tend to get jumps fans who don't enjoy the Flat, and vice versa. Maybe you don't have enough jumps meetings in the USA to have a split following? Anyway, welcome again, and we'll look forward to reading your posts.

You guys don't have to do anything about your dirt racing, as you kill us with any stock you send over on the dirt.

I'm not sure if you know or not, but Keeneland has been using the Polytrack on their training track, and got rave reviews. Turfway Park installed it and in the first month, not one horse broke down. The only problem is the horses are getting lung infections from the kick back, but enough people like it that trainers are talking about getting it installed in California.

We don't have jump races here in the States like you guys do. Saratoga will have a few, but most people complain when the card starts with them. Maryland has some too, but they aren't popular unless you are there. I just think it's amazing what they are able to do, and it gives them something to do if they aren't good enough on the flat. The Fappiano line, from which Unbridled is from, not sure if you know of him, gets a lot of flack for unsoundness, but I was talking to someone and apparently they do very well in the steeplechase races in Maryland. Rather surprising I thought.

But thank you for the welcoming. It will be interesting to get an "insiders" view of the good horses in Europe now.

Welcome to the forum, Spain.

I'm not very well up with American racing, have enough trouble keeping track of our own.

Looking forward to an insight on your stuff.

Colin

Welcome Spain!

I've a curent interest in US racing, as a colt I bred called MONSIEUR BOULANGER is currently racing at Santa Anita on turf. He's just posted three work-out times, so hopefully he'll be racing agan soon - he's had quite a break. Won a rated stakes over there but is now running in Claimers.

He's been a great boost to his dam's (SONGSHEET) progeny in the sales ring and I loved him to bits - very cheeky...

Songsheet, if you want to see your colt's races online go to calracing.com and on the left hand corner there is a place for race replays. You have to sign up, but it's free. It'll bring up a menu where you can look for track, date and horse. Just type in your horse's name and you will get all his races, within a certain time frame. Since you are getting his workouts I'd assume you have stable mail.

Colin Phillips, I understand you not being up to date on the racing in America. I like you have a hard enough time following the horses here.

Everyone else, thank you for the warm welcome. Rumoursabound I'll try to have a good time. LOL :)

Welcome Spain. Nice to have someone on board from across the pond. I spent nearly 2 years working out there mainly Santa Anita & Hollywood Park.

And I used to ride Thunder Gulch's dam a bit many years ago, so was very happy to see her son do so well.

Welcome Cynthia
clapping.gif

I'm sure you could have found a better forum.......... :shy:
(joke)

Is Carpocrates' full brother in America or Japan. ?

BTW They are a strange lot on here!
:ph34r:

Welcome to the forum Spain. You've still got over half the jumps season to look forward to and you'll soon be educated about the best 4 days racing anywhere in the world that takes place at Cheltenham in March.

Originally posted by Latefortheraces@Dec 5 2005, 04:05 PM
Welcome Cynthia
clapping.gif

I'm sure you could have found a better forum.......... :shy:
(joke)

Is Carpocrates' full brother in America or Japan. ?

BTW They are a strange lot on here!
:ph34r:
I'm not sure where Carpocrate's full brother is right now. If I had to venture a guess I'd say Japan, which is rather disappointing for me. But considering he was the cheapest Storm Cat sold, and they were hot items, who knows if he'll even make it to the races.

Again thanks for the warm welcome. I don't think I've been to a forum that is more welcoming.

Back