Hong Kong - 14th December - Sha Tin

betsmate

At the Start
Featured nominations for the CXHKIR 2008

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint (HK$12m - US$1.6m - Gr.1 - 1200m)

Defending champion Sacred Kingdom bids to keep the world's richest turf sprint in Hong Kong for the seventh successive year; Overdose from Hungary has pretensions to being the best sprinter in Europe, although that title will officially belong to Marchand D'Or this season; Apache Cat is the best sprinter in Australia and JJ The Jet Plane, is rated as among the fastest horse to emerge from South Africa in decades. Add in Midnight Lute, the Breeders' Cup Sprint winner along with the Japanese filly Sleepless Night and it's hard to imagine a stronger race.

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Vase (HK$14m - US$1.8m - Gr.1 - 2400m)

An event that has been the sole preserve of European horses in recent times and the reigning titleholder Doctor Dino is searching for a repeat victory. Runaway Irish Derby winner Soldier Of Fortune could prove a difficult obstacle, however, as will English St Leger heroes, Conduit and Sixties Icon. Another Classic winner, Moonstone, victorious in the Irish Oaks also has the Vase on her agenda. Early entries are augmented by the Japanese-trained winner of Melbourne Cup, Delta Blues, and the AJC Derby winner and last weekend's fine Caulfield Cup runner-up from New Zealand, Nom Du Jeu.

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile (HK$16m - US$2.1m - Gr.1 - 1600m)

Good Ba Ba, the current Horse of the Year in Hong Kong, is out to regain the crown he won so thrillingly in 2007 but the Breeders' Cup Mile champion Kip Deville, Europe's highest-rated miler, Raven's Pass, and fellow British star Paco Boy will take plenty of beating should they line up. Other names to note are the American Shadwell Turf Mile champion Thorn Song; Canada's best miler and leading older horse, Rahy's Attorney; the 1000 Guineas winner from France, Natagora; and Apollo Star, the best horse in training in Czech Republic and one who has won multiple Group races throughout Europe.

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Cup (HK$20m - US$2.6m - Gr.1 - 2000m)

Preakness, Breeders' Cup Classic and Dubai World Cup winning sensation Curlin is the highest rated horse in the world and deserves first mention here - but only just ahead of Duke Of Marmalade, five times a Gr.1 winner this year alone. Topping the pair in terms of Gr.1 wins is Weekend Hussler, successful seven times in Gr.1 races in Australia, while Vodka, famed for becoming the first filly to win the Japanese Derby in over 60 years and a Yasuda Kinen romp in June, will merit huge respect if she makes the journey across the East China Sea. Other top class females to look out for are triple Gr.1 winners Halfway To Heaven and Lush Lashes. Will it be third time lucky for Viva Pataca in this race? Or can Archipenko, successful in the Audemars Piguet QEII Cup at the course and distance earlier in the year, record another win for trainer Mike De Kock? Spirit One, the French-based winner of the Arlington Million, is another major draw card.

O'Brien mentioned Moonstone for the Vase and Halfway To Heaven for the Mile. Duke Of Marmalade is retired though Stoute did not rule out Hong Kong for Conduit.

I'm not a sprint man, but Overdose, Marchand D'Or and Sacred Kingdom would be some race. Some of the others not too shabby either.

Surely it would be absolute madness to run Halfway To Heaven in Hong Kong given that O'Brien put her poor run in the Breeders Cup down to a long, hard season IIR!

I have a feeling he wants the record more than he is letting on.

My good friend's horse has been nominated for the Cup and Vase. The connections are still undecided (due to the cost) on whether they will or won't go.

Viva Pataca looked very exciting in winning the Group 3 over the mile last Sunday at Sha Tin.

Halfway To Heaven did not get home over 10 furlongs...very much as her breeding suggests. Ran with plenty of dash at Santa Anita I thought until not staying.

O'Brien apparently put it down to fatigue IIR though. I didn't have a stamina doubt about her before the race to be honest, but in retrospect the Nassau Stakes wasn't exactly the most exacting test of stamina.

Wonder if there's any chance Lush Lashes will make the trip?

Apache Cat will not be there. Ran horribly on Saturday in an unexplained 8th first up over 6f in the Group 1 race down the straight 6 at Flemington last Saturday.

Overdose also not running, and is out for a break I believe.

My friend's horse, Douro Valley, unlikely to go 30/70 probably at this stage. Will have to win tomorrows Sandown Classic if he were to show up, and would have to be a damn good win too.

Overdose runs a g3 in Rome this Sunday, but he seems unlikely to travel to HK.

Back