Honoured Guest

Guest_

At the Start
I remember Gareth and Charlie and a few others on here were big fans of this horse (based on the time figures of his maiden and Curragh wins) before he ran in the French Guineas. He has not run since but thought a few on here would be interested to know that the horse is back in full training (obviously had a set back last year) and should hopefully have a chance to fulfil last seasons potential.

Originally posted by Galileo@Mar 5 2008, 12:20 PM
I remember Gareth and Charlie and a few others on here were big fans of this horse (based on the time figures of his maiden and Curragh wins) before he ran in the French Guineas. He has not run since but thought a few on here would be interested to know that the horse is back in full training (obviously had a set back last year) and should hopefully have a chance to fulfil last seasons potential.

Interesting. You don't happen to know the other Ballydoyle older horses in training for this year?

List of older horses kept in training at Tipperary this season:
Yeats
Haradasun
Septimus
Abraham Lincoln
Astronomer Royal
Duke Of Marmalade
Honolulu
Honoured Guest
Macarthur
Mahler
Mount Nelson
Peeping Fawn
Port Of Spain
Red Rock Canyon
Soldier Of Fortune
US Ranger
Song Of Hiawatha

Abraham Lincoln
Song Of Hiawatha
Port Of Spain

With the possible exception of the unexposed Port Of Spain, I presume these will be making up the pacemaking team?

I would have thought that about Song Of Hiawatha but there could be decent sprints to be won by Abraham Lincoln.

Are we surprised to see Yeats get another year? Is his pedigree less attractive than some?

That would be a very good reason, although one that may surprise some Coolmore dissenters.

It will be great to see him racing again.

Not sure if they'd already made up their minds, but the enforced retirement of Scorpion to the NH division may have sealed it, and Mountain High went there also (€4000 to get into his family; not bad).

Great to see so many Ballydoyle older horses!

What do we make of Soldier of Fortune this year? Think he'll struggle to win a Group 1 over 10f myself, and quick ground in high summer would be all against him as well.

I think DOM would easily beat SOF over 10f wheras SOF will be going for the 12F races.

Ballydoyle horses should be awesome in the staying division in all group races this year.

I think Septimus is just a litle bit better than Yeats now going into the new season.

Septimus has problems at the end of last year. Not sure how serious but enough to rule out a crack at the Melbourne Cup. Interesting to see where they place them all.

Can see them trying to get a sneaky ~10f win out of SoF in the Tattersalls. Completely agree that he looks an out-and-out 12f horse.

The likes of High Chaparral, Black Sam Bellamy, Powerscourt, etc looked to be the sorts to need a minimum of 1m4f……but Ballydoyle have been able to get Group 1 wins out of them as 4 year olds over shorter trips. While undoubtably suited by a test of stamina I wouldn’t be in the least surprised to see SOF go close in a shorter race and I am sure the that’s the reason he has been kept in training. I think the ground is probably just as important to him.

I agree with Gal's assessment of SOF, currently my favourite of the Ballydoyle Brigade
I'll def be backing him again in any race with give underfoot - and he's bound to be a stronger horse this year, that type usually improves with age surely, whilst the lighter bred types sometimes don't

High Chaparral was one of the most talented horses they've ever had.

Black Sam Bellamy is the exact 'sneaky 10f win' example I was thinking of.

Powerscourt was always a 10f horse, they just didn't figure that out until he was 4.

I don't believe ground is an issue for SoF. He was effective enough on lightning fast ground in the Niel.

No he's not ground dependent - but he acts particularly well on soft which many others don't

Back