Horse And Hound Cup

Tout Seul

Senior Jockey
A friend has recently bought a leg in one of the entries for this prestige race for p-t-p horses. Does anyone have a view as to the better horses. i recognise some of the names but most are a mystery to me. Ta!

Take The Stand will more than likely be favourite for this and rightly so after his wins at Newbury and Cheltenham. This could be a far stronger race than the ones he has been winning of late and, because he is a "name", he may well start a false price and there will certainly be value elsewhere.

Natiain is virtually invincible in Scotland and the form of his 30L Perth win was boosted when Harlov won by miles at Aintree last time. He is a bold-jumping front-runner who stays very well and this track will play to his strengths. He looks the biggest danger along with Southwestern who won over C/D at this meeting last year and would probably have won at Punchestown last time had he not tipped up two out. His form has been a bit in and out this season but there have been excuses. He is top-class when on song.

Coolefind is a good horse, as his close second to Amicelli last time showed, but he was a non-staying third in this last year and he is always vulnerable in Hunter Chases. Border Fusion won a race at Bangor he has made his own last time and has never really been tested in the highest grade, but is a class animal who could easily be in the shake-up. Back Nine won the Touareg Final last time but is basically a plodder whose form isn't as good as some of these. Sleeping Night won the Foxhunters ages ago but is not as good now and is held by Natiain on this year's form. Gallik Dawn, Golden Jack and Trade Off are all fairly useful and stay extra well but lack a touch of class

I can't see the remainder being good enough including Bee An Bee who beats dross in the South East week after week, and Jurado Express who hasn't a hope of staying this trip.

After that, Millenium Way or Wild Is The Wind will probably hack up!

Which horse is your friend involved in?

Of course it's worth mentioning that Golden Jack has a 20lb penalty (at least!) in the shape of the utterly woeful Ryan Bliss on board - he's a master at getting anything beaten.

Happy Jack. Thanks.
Not sure transaction has been formally approved by Wetherby's so will not name just yet. Will put up what I know on Saturday morning.

In the interim have PMed you.

Originally posted by Happy Jack@May 21 2008, 08:48 PM

Nice chap it seems though, a lot more cerebral than your average jock - Ryan Bliss profile
Ryan's Bliss's mum Kay virtually ran Elite for many years [and the club was better for it then imo]. She's back there now after a sabbatical to travel, but no longer 'in charge'. Ryan sometimes writes a column in the newsletter about his P2P season which is always a good read - he's very self-critical and quite self-deprecating

was she the scary looking one with the frizzy balck hair Heads??

My brother was a member for a while back at the start - it was a lot better run then than it appears to be these days (if you listen to friends of mine - I havent spoken to anyone who is a current memeber (apart from them!) for ages!)

Did you get that video BTW?

:suspect: wonder who ive just insulted then!!

There was a very nice lass who did a column in teh newsletter - cant rememebr her name, but she was very funny and always looked like a nice person on the telly - she had long black hair,but its not her I am thinking of.(she worked for Paul Cole BTW - and did Sri Pecan)

I could have sworn KB had frizzy hair too - praps its someone else Ive just assumed was her!!

In actual fact, Kay for a very long time had long, dark dreadlocks, so Trudi has the right person (except that Kay didn't work for Paul Cole!!! Can't remember who did Sri Pekan, but I did him one night at evening stables and held him up for the guv'nor!). She's a very nice person, and very amusing.

Shame her son can't ride though!!! :laughing: No, seriously, he is shocking - I've seen him get Merchant's Friend beaten twice when he should have won, once at Wincanton and once at Cheltenham, both recently; it would have helped him if he hadn't kept dropping his reins and dropping his whip.....!! Oh, and no, I didn't have a penny on either!

Interesting article, Happy Jack - that Dantes Gold Ryan talks about was the biggest, widest, slowest lump I have ever sat on!!! He was ever such a sweet horse but really couldn't get out of his own way and was clumsy to boot!

I was talking about two different people when I was saying about KB and the girl who worked for Paul Cole - I wish I could rememebr her name - her columns in teh elite newsletter were really very lever - funny and informative,and very very easy to read...

and she lead up at Royal Ascot in a shorts suit which made me laugh too - little feet in little shoes near hooves....

Originally posted by Headstrong@May 21 2008, 09:48 PM
Ryan sometimes writes a column in the newsletter about his P2P season which is always a good read - he's very self-critical and quite self-deprecating
He has his supporters within the sport - John Dufosee seems quite content to use him, and owner Bernard Pike was entirely happy with his efforts on that first class scamp Who Else Knew on each of the three occasions I spoke to him at Hackwood Park this season.

Ryan was a little cheeky on the second occasion, punching the air and shouting "yes!" as soon as he had flashed past the line in the Open on the aforementioned Who Else Knew - a short head in front of Noakarad De Verzee, but still a short head behind Iris's Prince.

I was on the judge's truck and we saw it all from barely five metres away. Not only was he not fooling any of us, he also didn't detract attention away enough from his excessive use of the whip up the run-in. The upshot of all this? No win, and a £75 fine to boot!

Jeremy
(graysonscolun)

Can't really remember Kay with dark dreadlocks but perhaps that is because she would look so different! Quite a change from one to the other. I did not say she was not nice, or funny - but she is most formidable and pretty scary as usually herding peeps about like a military missus. But then with 15,000 members to keep in line I suppose that is (was) her job. What she was very good at is remembering names.

I've met Ryan and he is a nice guy, perhaps mind is not fully on the job though, he has such fun while doing it.

BTW Jeremy,would it be remiss of me to even dare suggest that the hunter chase anorak you refer to in the letters page in todays RP could be anything else but the usual colour?

I hope you don't pass out at the shock of it, Arkwright, but it's actually very dark blue with light blue relief!

Be assured that everything underneath it is still regulation miserablist black, though, as you'll see if you're headed Towcesterwards tomorrow night...

gc

PS I think that was my first letter to the Post that didn't mention either Quixall Crossett or Cartmel in some capacity. I'm dead broad-minded, me. :nuts:

Originally posted by Isinglass@May 28 2008, 10:59 AM
Can't really remember Kay with dark dreadlocks
Kay had long dark dreadlocks for a few years, until around 1999/2000. In truth they weren't genuine dreadlocks, they were exceptionally neat braids, and very long - nearly down to her waist.

Back