Horses To Follow 2010/11

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
We've already got the obligatory "Road To..." threads so how about a horses to follow?

Johney Foley - From the relatively unfashionable stable of Sarah Humphrey and owned by Middleham Park Racing this 5yo started his career between the flags in Ireland prior to switching to the Humphrey yard for the relatively low price of £14,000. He was beaten in his P2P debut at Aghabullogue by An Toileanach (won a Tipperary Bumper since) before going on to score on his next two P2P starts over the useful Annacarton (4 time Open winner in 2010) and he also ran down the field in a Gowran Park bumper. Switched to Humphrey he made his UK rules debut in a Plumpton bumper I saw and I was amazed that he was 8/1 in the morning and even more amazed given how he looked in the paddock that he'd drifted from 6/1 to 14's by the off, he's a big, strong chasing type though will clearly be better with time. He front ran at Plumpton on a track known more as a speed track so it was unlikely to play to his strengths, he'd built up a healthy advantage down the backstraight before being run down close home by Venetia Williams gambled-on Gorgehous Liege. The fourth Kasbadali has won a Market Rasen bumper since, whilst the third was beaten under 14 lengths by Bob Bucklers Sandown listed winner Mizzurka.

Looking forward to seeing Me Voici and James De Vassy over the bigger obstacles. They both look fine big chasing prospects.

The Williams' have often spoken of Me Voici as being a Champion Hurdle prospect so it wouldn't surprise me if he stays over timber this season.

Royal Scoundrel (IRE)
6-y-o (23Apr04 b/br g)
Anshan (9.3f) — Bridgequarter Lady (IRE) (King´s Ride (14.0f))
Trainer P Bowen
Owner Roddy Owen & Paul Fullagar

Mr & Mrs Bowen said in April 2009:

Trainer P Bowen - " He's the one we're quite excited about. He's from the family of West Tip and Royal Athlete. He jumps particularly well, and there's no bottom to him. He won his bumber by 14 lengths so we'll find a bumper for him on a big galloping track with a penalty in better company and see how he gets on. It may be we won't run him over hurdles this season as he's only a four-year-old."

Trainers wife Karen " One to look forward to. Not necessarily this season, but he'll be a great horse."

Good luck Roddy :thumbsup:

Always Waining - won the Topham this year with ease and I'm blinkered in my view he'll come back next year and realise a lifetimes ambition for the Bowens in the Grand National.

Thousand Stars - Impressed me in the County Hurdle on Gold Cup day at the festival and franked the form in the Champion Hurdle at the Punchestown festival when only 2L behind Hurricane Fly and Solwhit with some good sorts well behind those three. On an O/R 163 he could take high rank amongst the Novice chasers if they go that route.

Royal Scoundrel (IRE)
6-y-o (23Apr04 b/br g)
Anshan (9.3f) — Bridgequarter Lady (IRE) (King´s Ride (14.0f))
Trainer P Bowen
Owner Roddy Owen & Paul Fullagar

Mr & Mrs Bowen said in April 2009:

Trainer P Bowen - " He's the one we're quite excited about. He's from the family of West Tip and Royal Athlete. He jumps particularly well, and there's no bottom to him. He won his bumber by 14 lengths so we'll find a bumper for him on a big galloping track with a penalty in better company and see how he gets on. It may be we won't run him over hurdles this season as he's only a four-year-old."

Trainers wife Karen " One to look forward to. Not necessarily this season, but he'll be a great horse."

Good luck Roddy :thumbsup:

Always Waining - won the Topham this year with ease and I'm blinkered in my view he'll come back next year and realise a lifetimes ambition for the Bowens in the Grand National.

Thousand Stars - Impressed me in the County Hurdle on Gold Cup day at the festival and franked the form in the Champion Hurdle at the Punchestown festival when only 2L behind Hurricane Fly and Solwhit with some good sorts well behind those three. On an O/R 163 he could take high rank amongst the Novice chasers if they go that route.

Thought I'd revisit this thread.

Not sure what happened to Royal Scoundrel maybe Roddy can fill us in with his progress?

Thousand Stars never went novice chasing as I had hoped but proved what a good hurdler he is but was just below the top level.

Always Waining - missed out by one in the Grand National, a race if he had won would of paid for a lovely holiday as I had backed him every couple of weeks for the race - I was fortunate enough to get the money back as he was balloted out and stuck most of it on him in the consolation race - A nice consolation

Back