Hunters' chases - info

krizon

At the Start
I'm hoping there are enough experts on here to steer me right on this topic: I like the ever-genuine CHAPEL FLOWERS, 2nd today in a Hunters' Chase, but I notice the horse most recently ran at Fontwell in a Novices' Chase. So, can horses just pop in and out of regular rules races as well as hunters' chases at will?

I assume to be in hunters, they've got to be registered with a particular hunt, and appear with hounds on at least one occasion in the hunting season?

Is there a standard of rules chasing at which they, as hunters, are no longer eligible to take part? Or, vice versa, if they got to Grade 2 standard in chasing, would they be ineligible for hunters' races?

Many thanks to whoever clears this up! :rolleyes:

The qualifications for hunter chases are much the same for point to points, bar that professional trainers can also run horses assuming they've qualified. Hunter chasers have to a) hold a hunter's certificate - earned (ahem) in the same way that they are for pointing, ie horse has to have 'regularly hunted' that season and b) cannot have run in a race under rules after 1st November in that season (ie 1st November 2010 this year). There are other rules about not having won a chase under rules of a certain value for something like 2 1/2 years as well and rules about total prize money won in order to be allowed to run in hunter chases.

Chapel Flowers qualifies as he hadn't run under rules since April 2010 which fits the criteria of not having run under rules since before 1st November. He is trained by a friend of mine and was bought by an enthusiastic owner-rider specifically for him to ride in races.

Last edited:
As long as a qualified horse does not run under Rules between November 1st and February 1st during the current season there is nothing in the regulations to stop it chopping and changing between handicaps and Hunter Chases (see Massini Man for an example).

There - I knew some folks would know! Many thanks to you both.

Shadz, do tell CHAPEL FLOWERS' owner/rider how much I like the dear horse - I love those genuine ten-to-two ears, and a good, steady way of going. All credit to your trainer chum, too.

Back