Hurricane Fly

Guest_

At the Start
Not at Cheltenham but this horse deserves his own thread...Go Native, Quevega....this horse could literally be anything.

From todays RP

"The problem he has is one that might have cleared up in just a few weeks, but it is taking longer to do so and it could take a few months. I'd like to run him in one of the novice hurdles at Punchestown but we will just have to wait and see."

ATR Today

Mullins told At The Races: "He's very well, he went up to the vets yesterday and they gave him the best report that we have had so far. I was not pleased with him when I left to go to Cheltenham last Sunday morning but the vets were very pleased with him."
He added: "It gives us a chance now to get back to Punchestown."

He's obviously highly talented but I just wonder if he'll go on to live up to the highest expectations.

I'd probably be more excited about this season's Bumper winner.

He's obviously highly talented but I just wonder if he'll go on to live up to the highest expectations.

I have to admit I still have my doubts. Admittedly he looks impressive quickening up from a steady pace but it remains to be seen how he'll perform in an end to end gallop against the best. His narrow beating of Donnas Palm and Cousin Vinny is starting to look less impressive now too.

I have to admit I still have my doubts. Admittedly he looks impressive quickening up from a steady pace but it remains to be seen how he'll perform in an end to end gallop against the best. His narrow beating of Donnas Palm and Cousin Vinny is starting to look less impressive now too.

His form against Donnas Palm and Cousin Vinny was unimpressive (to the eye) because it was a steady gallop in soft conditions. Whats more the horse had only been gelded recently enough to have event and that often can set a horse back a bit.

At Leopardstown at Christmas the race was a well run event (not a steady gallop as you suggest) and on good ground.

The horse also has form inexcess of 2 miles so we know a strong gallop suits.

Last edited:
He is a bit too flashy for my taste. I don't know that he will progress as far as some from here out.

He is a bit too flashy for my taste. I don't know that he will progress as far as some from here out.

In the right hands, loads of talent from the flat and for a son of Montjeu he looks remarkably well tempered and straight forward. I see no reason why he should not confirm all his previous form and continue to progress. Has speed to burn and his form in France has shown he gets two miles well.

Good to hear the up-beat report on Hurricane from Willie Mullins this morning during his interview on "Get On".
According to Mullins, the vet report yesterday was most positive and pleasing -- and the horse will now be put back into work with the Puchestown festival the aim.

In the right hands, loads of talent from the flat and for a son of Montjeu he looks remarkably well tempered and straight forward. I see no reason why he should not confirm all his previous form and continue to progress. Has speed to burn and his form in France has shown he gets two miles well.

You could well be right, but I'd fancy a handful of others perhaps at or just short of what he's achieved to make more progress between now and next Festival.

It's a waste of your time looking elsewhere, if you don't mind me saying so, SteveM.

Hurricane Fly is already established as better than all of last season's 2m novice hurdlers, his form was franked all over the place at the Festival, he remains unexposed and open to plenty of improvement, has form on ground ranging from fast side of Good to Very Soft, and is proven at trips between 2m and 2m4f.

He is the real deal, and there isn't a 2m hurdler in training that he needs to worry about.

It's a waste of your time looking elsewhere, if you don't mind me saying so, SteveM.

Hurricane Fly is already established as better than all of last season's 2m novice hurdlers, his form was franked all over the place at the Festival, he remains unexposed and open to plenty of improvement, has form on ground ranging from fast side of Good to Very Soft, and is proven at trips between 2m and 2m4f.

He is the real deal, and there isn't a 2m hurdler in training that he needs to worry about.

Glad to see your back on form Grassy. In my book hewill be as big a certainty at Punchestown as Mikhael was at Cheltenham. Can`t wait to recover my AP bets from Chelt.;)

I don't mind you saying so at all old son. For my part I'm not 101% convinced. Relative values can change a fair bit in 12-months at this stage of their careers.

Last edited:
Grassy is a believer and so am I. Nothing will get near him next year - the only horse with a chance will probably not run :(

Quevega, Martin?

I'm a firm HF believer and always thought he should have gone for this year's Champion Hurdle. That said, I can see why people might look from afar and have suspicions, might not have realised just how taking he was at Leopardstown. I hope he gets to Punchestown and proves what he is capable of - he's in the right hands, and I see no reason why he shouldn't progress.

That's her Bobbyjo. Warbler's tried to talk me out of taking the various standard times in relation to how the races at Cheltenham were run at face value but by my calculations trying to determine a "turn of foot" rating (ie. a horse who can gallop at Championship speed AND has a turn of foot will always beat a battler) the last 3 hurdles of the Mares race were run in 59.38 seconds, the Supreme in 59.8 seconds and the Champion in 1:02.4 (from memory). Whilst up to 3 out the Champion was 3 seconds quicker than the Supreme (thus them being about the same number of seconds slower than standard).

Still need to time the Mares Hurdle - then take into account the different courses, undulations, hurdles etc.

I'm hoping said horse's first run over fences (with the Ferdinand Dufaure as his main aim) isn't until after 3rd May or whenever the cut of is for this season so he's still eligible for the Sun Alliance :)

Agree with you that he wouldn't beat HF though. Interesting that Loulia was back with a victory today over hurdles, big pot in May coming up? ;)

Back