I Cannot Imagine

Guest_

At the Start
An angry Ryan Moore!!

Racing Post staff

RYAN MOORE, who rides Tartan Bearer in Sunday's Irish Derby, was handed a €1,000 fine before racing at the Curragh on Sunday following an altercation with a gateman.

When asked for his comment on the matter, Moore replied: “I don't want to talk about it, thank you.”

The official report on the matter has not been released yet but it is believed that Moore got upset with a member of the security team when refused entry though a gateway near the weighroom.

Jeez. Reminds me of my altercation with security staff at Dublin airport :rolleyes:
Hope it doesn't prey on his mind

Yes, its very unfortunate again that a potential standard bearer for the sport is so devoid of personality and charisma, and seems to labour under the impression that the entertainment industry owes him a living without being prepared to put much back in by way of helping promote it.

I just hope he said "do you know who I am", but since he's clearly of the opinion that he's too good to talk to the television, I don't suppose anyone can be blamed for failing to recognise the arrogant little shite

Ryan Moore looks a quite and polite man, I am as surprised with this as if someone tell me Aidan Obrien has been caught driving drunk in a car last night with Kate Moss and Pet Doherhty .

We all know how rude and unnecessarily officious some racecourse staff can be [esp in the car parks!]. I had some heated altercations with gate staff only last week at a course where I was working - FOR THE COURSE. When told to back off by a course staff member, one of the two culprits continued being obstructive and sneering for the rest of the meeting... Something nasty seems to get into a lot of people as soon as they don a uniform - it's how the Nazis got away with so much.

Ryan Moore is perfectly charming in person, but very reserved. Some people really hate talking to a camera, I guess he is one of them - he feels his riding should do the talking. He has been making an effort to overcome that lately, but it clearly doesn't come easily to him.

In jump racing Denis O'Reagan is much the same - a very good rider who has to keep talking to camera as it's part of where he's at now in his career... doesn't come naturally at all! No jockey - except maybe Dettori - goes into race riding thinking "Yippee - I'm going to be on telly"!!

Disagree, he's perfectly rude and contemptuous away from a camera. Unfortunately he's got a lot to learn. Namely that he's in the entertainment industry increasingly, and that means competing against other sport leisure offers. Racing doesn't have the mass appeal of other sports, and needs it's leading lights to act as ambassadors given that the equine personalities can't talk (though admittedly you'd probably get more out of them than some jockeys). It's not as if the after race interview is that taxing afterall. Same banal questions, usually delivered by sympathetic industry insiders rather than probing journalists. I've seen no end of sportsmen gladly sign autographs and interact with both fans and media immediately after their respective, and the sort of sports I'm talking about are a damn sight more physically demanding than riding a bloody horse for a couple of minutes

I opined what an opportunity was missed last year in the Gold Cup to promote the 'big showtime in the Cotswolds' which just might have attracted the attention of the sporting nation, rather than the typical inward looking attention of the racing fans. Unfortunately, racing is very often its own enemy as it immerses itself in its cosy insular world and is almost oblivious to the need to reach outside of this constituency. It's just a shame that in Moore we have another terrible exponent of the modern media age we live in

Just a bit harsh there, Warbler, don't you think.

I have seen Ryan giving autographs on course, true he isn't a smiler but wasn't McCoy much the same when he was in the 'driven' part of his career.

Ryan, is still quite young and the PR side of his character might develop once he a couple of more championships to his name.

Minor one, and was very unimpressed with him as a person (just thoguht he was a twat), and generally an ungracious a pitious apology of a sportsman compared to others I've met.

Wouldn't invoke McCoy as a defence two wrongs don't make a right, although he's better than he used to be. Ruby Walsh is another unfortunate high profile ambassador who can't help snarling a bit.

I suspect that a lot of jockeys (not unlike footballers) probably have to make a lot of academic sacrifices at early ages as it's hardly a sport you learn at school. This probably means riding early work, and doing something similar in the evenings. I'm guessing that quite a high percentage come from the countryside too where priorities and natural carrer paths will be different. Footballers and boxers are drawn from the inner cities by contrast and suffer a different kind of inarticulacy. Rarely does a jockey give a thought provoking interview or offer an interesting insight though

*****Name drop alert ~ mea culpa, mea maxima culpa****

A year ago, I made the error of suggesting to a well known journalist ~ let's call her Hydia Lislop (I was with someone at a black tie do who is quite friendly with her; I'm not claiming to be her bestest mate btw) that Ryan Moore was probably just quite shy. "No he's not", she replied with some degree of venom "he's a ****!" I was quite shocked by her unladylike language, but also ever so slightly turned on. Ooh!

I would certainly agree with your last sentence, Warbs, except for one juicy comment from Fallon about a Stoute horse in a handicap on one occasion. Might have been Medicean that he described as a Group horse just before the race was about to take place.

Even though these interviews with jocks are boring and so predictable (on most occasions!!!) the TV channels insist on showing them. Why?

"..................I was quite shocked by her unladylike language,..................."

I was believing that post until I came to the bit above, after her infamous hand-over to John Hunt one day. :luv:

A year ago, I made the error of suggesting to a well known journalist ~ let's call her Hydia Lislop (I was with someone at a black tie do who is quite friendly with her; I'm not claiming to be her bestest mate btw) that Ryan Moore was probably just quite shy. "No he's not", she replied with some degree of venom "he's a ****!" I was quite shocked by her unladylike language, but also ever so slightly turned on. Ooh!

I'm sure if she - or anyone else - knew that what they said to you in an informal setting would end up on an internet forum then they probably wouldn't talk to you in the first place

Originally posted by Bobbyjo@Jun 30 2008, 09:07 PM

I'm sure if she - or anyone else - knew that what they said to you in an informal setting would end up on an internet forum then they probably wouldn't talk to you in the first place
I can be surprisingly charming, Bobbyjo.... :P

On a serious note, 'Ms Lislop' is a member of at least one of the familiar forums, and she doesn't mind not mincing her words; she can't get in trouble for something I claim she said can she?

Well, I certainly copped a slating on the aformentioned forum the other day for laying into the wretched Moore and his boorish behaviour.

He is, by some accounts, the moodiest man on the turf, Eeyore with a whip and a hard hat. He does not give many interviews, he supposedly muttered "this is bollocks" as the leading jockeys were introduced to the crowd at Royal Ascot, and only last Sunday, he was fined €1,000 after an "altercation" with a security man at The Curragh.

Yet as Ryan Moore sat outside the weighing room at his hometown track here yesterday afternoon, fresh from riding two winners, there was little sign of the prickly jockey of popular myth. Perhaps it was the sunshine, or the knowledge that he was one step nearer to regaining the jockeys' title. Or perhaps he is just not quite so difficult or withdrawn as some would have you believe.

Moore seems to feel the sting of defeat just as clearly as the joy of success, which is perhaps not the ideal frame of mind when, at best, you will lose three times in every four. But it is the mentality of a winner too, one which made him the champion jockey in 2006 at the age of just 23, and seems sure to secure him many more.

"I'm fine talking to people after big races, but I don't want to be distracted before them," Moore says. "People always want to do interviews before big races, and before Royal Ascot and Epsom, and to me that's not the time to be doing it. All I want to do every day is to ride winners, not make mistakes, win big races on the best horses, and not let people down. That's owners, trainers, punters, even the people who do the tipping in the Racing Post. If they tip me up, I want to get it right."

The unfortunate incident at The Curragh on Irish Derby day, he says, was a disagreement "that just got a bit messy".

"The gate I was trying to get into was the gate I left by the previous night," he says. "Because I didn't have the right pass, the security guard wouldn't let me in. I asked him to get the clerk of the course and he wouldn't. There's a lot of building work going on at The Curragh and it's hard for anyone to get into the place.

"In the end, I had my overnight bag in one hand and my washbag in the other hand, and I hit his gate with my washbag. He went in and said I took a swing at him and missed him by inches, and said that I was trying to intimidate him. For a big security guard, I thought that was ridiculous, but I said to the stewards, I don't care what happens, I just want to get it out of the way before the Derby, because that's the important thing."

The Classic, in which Moore was riding Tartan Bearer, the hot favourite, did
not go according to plan either, as he became embroiled in the scrimmaging as Alessandro Volta, the mount of Johnny Murtagh, started to hang sharply left in the closing stages.

"The English Derby was the one we really wanted, and it was a big disappointment to be beaten in it, but Tartan Bearer ran well, he was just beaten by a very good one [in New Approach]," Moore says.

"In Ireland, he wasn't the same horse that ran at Epsom, and maybe the Derby had just left its mark on him. The way the winner finished, I'm not sure that I would have had an answer to him, to be honest, but I got hit side on, and I still hadn't really gone for him, I was just punching away and just about to go for my stick and set him alight. When we got hit, he got off balance, and Johnny Murtagh's horse continued to hang all the way, and I could never really gather him up and get him going again. I don't think he would have won, but you just don't know."

Moore had three winners at Royal Ascot, a meeting at which he had previously drawn a blank, but typically, it is one of the losers that sticks most in his mind.

"Three winners at Royal Ascot is a good week for anyone," he says, "but it was just a shame that Conduit got bumped on the bend [in the King Edward VII Stakes], because otherwise I think I would have got there. It cost me, and that would have made it all a lot better

"In Ireland, he wasn't the same horse that ran at Epsom, and maybe the Derby had just left its mark on him. The way the winner finished, I'm not sure that I would have had an answer to him, to be honest, but I got hit side on, and I still hadn't really gone for him, I was just punching away and just about to go for my stick and set him alight. When we got hit, he got off balance, and Johnny Murtagh's horse continued to hang all the way, and I could never really gather him up and get him going again. I don't think he would have won, but you just don't know."

Fair dues to him, that seems a very open and honest appraisal.

Last edited by a moderator:
From The Times this morning:

Andrew Longmore

The evening crowd at Sandown Park last week was one of the most remarkable in the history of horse racing. Either Ryan Moore had attracted a new fan club of suntanned blondes and teenage girls in flourescent pink tights or there was a Girls Aloud concert after racing. No prizes for guessing.
This has not been a great month for the former champion jockey. His riding has come under the amateur scrutiny reserved for those at the very top of their profession and his refusal to gush sweet nothings into a microphone in the aftermath of a big race has hardly endeared him to a sport desperate to sell itself to a wider audience.
“I seem to be getting a lot of stick for all sorts of things,” said Moore in a rare moment of quiet outside the Sandown weighing room. “I don’t know what I ’ve done to upset everyone. Ever since Ascot, the press haven’t been happy. For me, Royal Ascot, Epsom are the biggest weeks of the year and I just want to be left alone to ride the horses. People getting on to you then, it’s not nice.”
Moore was incensed at being corralled into giving an interview for the BBC at Epsom during the Derby meeting. He thought the timing inappropriate and the questioning intrusive. “They stopped me from getting away to make me do an interview and asked a question I didn’t want to answer,” he explains. “It was disgraceful.” Most of all, because the obstinacy of a champion is not confined to the racetrack, he disliked being coerced into playing the game.
Like AP McCoy before him, Moore’s intensity is often mistaken for surliness. He can do surly, for sure, but he is also laconic and intelligent with a tinder-dry wit. He is delightfully contrary and suffers no fools but, by his own admission, he is not an extrovert. He is also just 24 years old, the youngest champion since Pat Eddery and halfway to a second jockeys’ title. “I’m not very good in front of a camera,” he says. “I’m just not comfortable doing that sort of thing. People say I need to help with the image of racing and of course I’m aware of that but it’s not all down to me to do it. If I can help in any way I will do, but I don’t see how an interview straight after you’ve got off a horse, asking how good the horse was, is going to improve the image of racing.”
The problem for racing is not the image of a rider who could yet emulate McCoy in more than just his stone face but in persuading a small percentage of the 17,000 crowd at Sandown Park that the skills of Moore and Richard Hughes, whose riding lit up a grey evening, deserve as much attention as any post-race concert. Moore’s double in the opening two sprint races on the card came as a timely reminder that he is, by some distance, the best rider of his generation.
“He’s the best out there, in my opinion,” said Maureen Haggas, wife of William, trainer of Speed Song, the second of Moore’s winners. “People forget he’s very young, but, like my father, I suppose, he was brought up in a racing family so riding came to him very early and perhaps he’s suffering from that. He’s good, but he’ll get better.” As Maureen Haggas’s father is Lester Piggott, there is every reason to pay attention to the assessment, but neither do the statistics lie. The Haggas-Moore partnership has yielded eight winners from 11 rides this season.
In recent weeks, though, the criticism of Moore has taken on a sharper edge. Defeat on Papal Bull and Lovelace at Newmarket’s July meeting set a new bandwagon rolling. A prolific young jockey, renowned for his cool head and tactical consistency, was suddenly deemed to be overwhelmed by the pressures of his new job as stable jockey to Sir Michael Stoute. Coolmore’s domination of the big prizes this season has not helped, neither has the fact that the banned Kieren Fallon, Moore’s predecessor at Freemason Lodge, has been a regular presence at the stable, a constant reminder of the standards demanded of a Stoute jockey, on the track at least.
Besides pointing out that he had effectively been stable jockey at Freemason Lodge for nine months before anyone noticed – “it was brilliant” – Moore is happy to acknowledge he has much to learn. “Human error,” he says, “it’s the biggest thing that decides races. I don’t want to let people down, I want to get it right for myself, for the owners and trainers who trust you to do the job. When I don’t do the job right, I’m very hard on myself. I don’t need to be told by anyone.”
An opportunity for Stoute’s Papal Bull to take revenge on Lucarno, the victor at Newmarket, will come in the King George at Ascot on Saturday, though both might be stretched to match Coolmore’s Duke of Marmalade, the current favourite, and the hugely talented Youmzain. “I got it wrong [on Papal Bull] at Newmarket,” Moore admits. “He’d have beaten the winner [Lucarno], but the Duke will be hard to beat on quick ground.”
It will be Moore’s first ride in the King George. “So,” he says, the smile imperceptible, “I haven’t managed to get it wrong yet.”

Back