I suggest that the forum needs proper moderation. ...

Oldtimer

On a break
I suggest that the forum needs proper moderation. It's not clever for members to be able to tell other members to fuck off- seemingly with impunity?

I suggest that starting threads like this does the forum no good whatsoever. What the hell is wrong with you chap? Just because you are called Oldtimer does not mean you have carte blanche on being an utter idiot. Pack it in and remove this nonsense.

I blame the attached "beverage."

Kieron, may I remind you of your recent promise to the venerable Drone?

I can't even see the insult you are apparently referring to?

For my part, I'm happy to make an unconditional apology to you for anything I have ever written anywhere ever that has ever upset you in both of our entire lifetimes.

Apologies cost nothing and, though the odds might be 1000 with no takers, it might just help out chill out a bit.

Sowwwy! Weally, weally sowwy!

Let's be fwiends!

(But spare me the Katie Hopkins world view stuff please - it makes me feel unwell. Thanks in advance).

Attachments

• IMG_8528.jpeg
    IMG_8528.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 7
I suggest that the forum needs proper moderation. It's not clever for members to be able to tell other members to fuck off- seemingly with impunity?
No worries, I have no problem moderating childish behaviour. Who is telling whom to eff off?

And if anyone has issues about treating fellow members with courtesy and or tolerance, then there is the door. Posts like yours about will not be tolerated. Please discontinue that vibe. Thank you.

I blame the attached "beverage."

Kieron, may I remind you of your recent promise to the venerable Drone?

I can't even see the insult you are apparently referring to?

For my part, I'm happy to make an unconditional apology to you for anything I have ever written anywhere ever that has ever upset you in both of our entire lifetimes.

Apologies cost nothing and, though the odds might be 1000 with no takers, it might just help out chill out a bit.

Sowwwy! Weally, weally sowwy!

Let's be fwiends!

(But spare me the Katie Hopkins world view stuff please - it makes me feel unwell. Thanks in advance).
Not the only culprit for causing trouble. These two were even worse

Attachments

• el-d-and-lanliq-1.jpg
    el-d-and-lanliq-1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 9
:ROFLMAO:

Geezo, Tanlic, that's going back a long time (not that I ever touched that stuff)!

A lot of my mates at school were into the El-D and Lanny and I think the latter even used to advertise on the telly.

The closest I got to that kind of stuff was when on holiday in Wicklow with the boys' club around 1970 and got a couple of swallies of a nectar by the name of Marie Celeste. Maybe some of the Irish elder statesmen on here - they'd have been in right states - will remember the stuff.

Any issues with any posts, use the report post button located underneath each post. That way one of us will get alerted.

I believe i was the person in question. Oldtimer made several posts criticising members on here, and I suggested that if he didn't like it here, he could fuck off elsewhere.

I think it's commendably honest of you, Simmo, to fess up to that.

Thing is, though, did you feel a sense of impunity when you wrote it?

For avoidance of doubt, I think it's fair to say I'm struggling to take any of this seriously.

I do think it's proved quite an amusing thread, though, and I hope others agree.

Last edited:
I find abusive posts quite disturbing, to be honest, and never amusing. I struggle to fathom what motivates people to resort to personal insults and abuse, I really do.

We're all different, most of have different views be they political, religious or social but the forum is supposed to unite us via our shared interest in one of the best sports in the world in which we can all be armed with pretty much the same information yet interpret it all so differently. It's little short of wondrous when you think about it.

And yet some people for some reason seem to lose control of their manners in dealing with others.

I really just don't get it.

I find genuinely abusive posts if not disturbing then at least unnecessary - I guess the reason I'm amused is I can't see anything terribly abusive here anyway and I guess I was just trying to be light hearted about it all.

What surprised me most here was that you waited, what was it 5 or 6 days, maybe more, before posting this and raking it up again, Oldtimer.

Did you really sit and stew for that time period?

Or is this just another 'this is Oldtimer's sense of humour at play' post.

Or were you genuinely upset and unsure of how to deal with it at the time

You had/were offered a perfect opportunity on that thread to recognise that what you think is funny isn't the way many others see it, and shut the whole thing down with a 'I'm sorry, I can see now that some of my comments might be taken the wrong way and I really don't want to offend. I'll think it through more deeply before posting in future'.

Instead, we (seemingly) get a 'OK that didn't quite work, let's try another antagonistically charged post' approach.

Very odd thread. I take it most of us of an older vintage so insults are a waste of time. Personal abuse though is just totally unnecessary and usually means you've lost the argument. Never understood the need to insult others. Be very boring if we all agreed on everything.

The way I saw it was that he was being a prick, coming as it did on the back of his islamophobic and transphobic posts, I therefore chose to deal with him in that spirit.

Should the powers that be decide that my behaviour was beyond the pale then so be it.

Or you can just stick that person on ignore and never have to read anything they post again? Works for me.

:ROFLMAO:

Geezo, Tanlic, that's going back a long time (not that I ever touched that stuff)!

A lot of my mates at school were into the El-D and Lanny and I think the latter even used to advertise on the telly.

The closest I got to that kind of stuff was when on holiday in Wicklow with the boys' club around 1970 and got a couple of swallies of a nectar by the name of Marie Celeste. Maybe some of the Irish elder statesmen on here - they'd have been in right states - will remember the stuff.
There's another 1 from the same period " Bertola Cream Sherry"38662027.jpg

It was 2 days before New Year 1967 The Monkees were at number 1 in the charts with I'm a Believer. My Mum sent me for a loaf of bread but when I got near the shop 2 friends Kit and Dougie were standing at a nearby bus stop. Asked where they were heading they told me "Hawick 7 girls for every man come with us" I ran home grabbed my money, my 1/2 bottle of Bells and got back in the nick of time. Bus took us to Edinburgh train station in those days and the train to Hawick.

There we were on the Choo Choo drinking away Dougie and me on the lanlic but Kit on the Bertola Cream Sherry. Kit and I sat on one side and Dougie sat opposite. Kit stood up raised his bottle and said "Great drink this been drinking it all day" and took a large swig. He vomited and was like someone opened a fireman's hose went tight over Dougies head hitting the wall behind. Somehow it missed him and Kit turned and sent it flying out the little sliding window which luckily was open for air.. Not a guy to waste things Kit kept drinking it all the way to Hawick.

On arrival we were walking from the station to the town center across the bridge whe Dougie who had his half bottle of Bells in his pocket fell over and we heard the sound of breaking glass, As the whiskey ran out of the broken bottle as quick as a flash Dougie said "I hope to fuck it's blood" Stood up and said "Give me your whiskey or I'll batter you".....He was tough as nails so I timidly gave him mines.

I never went back home for 9 years without even a weekend visit and got heavily involved in racing. When I did go back my Mum just looked and said hi son where's my loaf :0) Those were the days

Or you can just stick that person on ignore and never have to read anything they post again? Works for me.
This is one of ailments of modern society in my mind - genuinely offensive people need to be called out for it. The battle of cable st would never happen today as we'd be too busy trying to cancel the people involved.

Back