Ibn Khaldun & Fast Company

Harbinger

At the Start
Most likely both are out for the season according to the RP. However, from what Suroor says it doesn't sound like either are actually injured. I know there was a lot of talk about Fast Company simply not working very well in the spring, but the vibes were good about Ibn Khaldun before he flopped in the Guineas. Have they both simply failed to train on?

Ibn Khaldun was reported to miss the French Derby because he strained ligaments in his near-fore. Similarly, although no specific injury was reported, Crisford had stated in June that Fast Company would be 'sidelined for some time'.

Last edited:
Thanks David. Fast Company in particular is a big miss but there's been barely a positive word said about him since the Dewhurst.

He was being targeted at the Guineas, albeit seemingly without too much expected of him (as I recall) but missed the race because of a poor blood count.

More annoyingly is where on earth is Gotherburg?

I'm not a great believer in the term "not trained on as 3yos" - more likely Godolphin have f**ked them up like so many of their inmates.

I read the other day that since SbS has officially been training them (for that read Crisford/Ferguson/Cooper), they have had a total of 9 individual Group 1 winners totalling 18 Gr1s. Not a brilliant score when you consider what Coolmore have achieved this season alone.

I'm not a great believer in the term "not trained on as 3yos"

It's something I've wondered about too. I think there's a difference between horses that come back and aren't able to mix it at the same level (i.e. they were precocious at 2 and the others have caught up and surpassed them) and those that simply have no interest in racing any more. The latter is why I brought it up; thinking of all those times where they freely admitted that Fast Company was showing nothing at home.

As for Suroor, I presume that stat is only limited to the last three years or so?

Even worse are the people who come out with bullshit about horses "not training on" from 3 to 4, or even 4 to 5!!!! Not training on from 2 to 3 I don't really have a problem with although it is over-used - the term should really only be applied to those horses that were only ever going to be sharp two year olds and not mature much from there. Interestingly enough, I was told early on in Royal Ascot week (and had it confirmed by asking the initial source outright afterwards) that someone close to the yard had reported they didn't think Kingsgate Native had trained on....

I can`t help feeling if by some miracle you could have taken Ballydoyle and Godolphin`s entire strings at the end of last year and swapped them round that the latter outfit would have fecked it up in some way shape or form, and i`m not just talking with the 3 year olds. Whatever happended to Imperial Stride and Sir Gerrard and Shawanda?? It`s an outfit with loads of money and fuck all expertise.

Ibn Khaldun was working well prior to the Dante, but pulled up lame having worked well. He has been on box rest and walker since, and has started hack cantering. There is no rush as he had a few muscle problems.

Fast Company hasn't been right since coming back from Dubai and hasn't worked in Newmarket.

Quite a few horses get sick from travelling esp if drastic climate change is involved, and it can take quite a while to get over when that happens. I don't think Godolphin's love of travelling their horses so much does them any good

Back