Improved form.

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Polly's Mark wins a Listed event at Newbury yesterday. Caught my eye as I had seen her last run when finished a comfortably beaten third in a Class 3 handicap at Ffos Las. True she had received a bump in that race but not enough to make the difference between winning and losing, she was beaten over four lengths by the winner.

She had been given ORs of 87, 89 and 88 for her last three runs (not necessarily in that order), yesterday she achieved a mark of around a 100. Perhaps not an astonishing improvement but the fact that she had been consistently returning high eighties I find it surprising.

Maybe it was the track Colin, she might just improved for the Chester characteristics.

Gareth sorry I thought this was at Chester but she did run a fine race on debut at Newbury on soft ground behind Minor Vamp who went on to better things over in Ireland so she holds strong course form but heres what the trainer said;

02Aug09 Newbury (12Gd ,RPR104)

We were faced with a predicament because she's well treated in handicaps off a rating of 87. When the rain came last week owner Martin Flitton agreed we should give this prize a shot, and the filly has got an important job done here. - Clive Cox, trainer

my take is that the race was not truly run..for one the front runner Si Belle is not a front running running type..too slow..so the fact it led tells me this turned into a sprint...which suited a 10f horse at this trip...Queen Of Tentacles also pulled hard which has not happened before..again pointing to a false run race...Fallen In Love isn't really a 12f horse but has run well..again pointing to the race being a speed test

in a slow run race I think the winner has been flattered...will be interesting see her in a stronger paced race which will suit the 12f horses in that race

I was sorely tempted. I had her as an even money shot but remembred this was Mickey Mouse Day and decided against the bet.

Back