In the RP today

Cantoris

At the Start
A couple of interesting stories:

Paul Eddery case of unfair dismissal against his brother Pat is thrown out. Apparently Paul helped out in the yard when Pat's wife left him in 2008 and he became depressed but after a while they had personal differences and Paul was fired.

Niche Market moves from Bob Buckler to Paul Nicholls after Big Fella Thanks moved to Ferdy. Not sure what the logic was.

Seven jocks banned for missing Jockeys Association seminars. Proper order. They are there for the benefit of the jockeys. They could at least show up.

Ted Voute advocating a sale in London. It's a clever idea and one that potential could get new people into racing. At the end of the day, how many of Kauto's high flying friends who are not into racing (yet he says) will head the few hours up to Newmarket for the sales. Bring the product to the people. Sounds like a good idea. Last stock market trade at 5pm.....first horse trade at 6pm. What you think Kauto??

Where did Voute suggest the sale be held, Cantoris - the O2 Arena? Just wondering where in London is easy enough to get to en masse, where there's loads of parking and some run-up room for horses to be seen outside as well as paraded under cover.

Earls Court? Don't they have a horse show there? Or maybe it's Krufts I'm thinking of!!

The Olympia Christmas show is at Earls Court - though theres hardly room for it - the horseboxes are parked a way away - might be doable though....

HOYS is at the NEC (as is Crufts) - might be able to make a case for having one there??

Last edited:
They do indeed, as Troods says, but could be a bit of a squeeze for the boxes. But the idea is worth a punt, I'd say.

Very sad to read that about Bob Buckler losing Niche Market. I met him yesterday and we bought a horse off him and he seemed very pleasant. Gerald knows him well (he rode for Gerald years ago) and says hes a decent bloke.

The Pat Eddery saga doesn't suprise me - I would imagine there was huge sibling rivalry and Paul has always been the lesser. I understand Paul arrived as moral support to Pat when his marriage broke up and Pat's ex-wife, Carolyn, has now gone to work for Noseda who is now married to Pauls ex-wife, Sally, so I would imagine its a fairly complicated family situation.

The Pat Eddery saga doesn't suprise me - I would imagine there was huge sibling rivalry and Paul has always been the lesser. I understand Paul arrived as moral support to Pat when his marriage broke up and Pat's ex-wife, Carolyn, has now gone to work for Noseda who is now married to Pauls ex-wife, Sally, so I would imagine its a fairly complicated family situation.

The incestual world of racing...

The Olympia Christmas show is at Earls Court

The Olympia Christmas show is held at the Olympia :) Just down the road from Earls Court in Kensington. Same ownership, different venue. I'd love a horse sale there, I could pop in for a gander after work!

The Olympia Christmas show is held at the Olympia :) Just down the road from Earls Court in Kensington. Same ownership, different venue. I'd love a horse sale there, I could pop in for a gander after work!

:D thats the one. If I go by train I always end up getting off at Earls Court,cos Ive only ever known it as "Earls Court Olympia" and I get confused - then I have to find a postman or taxi driver to ask for directions, cos I can never remember the way to walk....:lol:

(ive done it enough times now that youd think I could remember - but no.:rolleyes:)

sad to read about buckler losing niche market too. while i certainly understand that any owner has the right for trial and error, but this is clearly a case of getting greedy, for a want of better word. the horse as exceeded all expectations and has been the start of a good yard, not certain at all to be suited by different regime etc, and paul nicholls isnt exaclty mr grand nation either. just a shame as it is the horse who does pay the prize for an overamibitious owner.

re eddery. loved it. would love to hear more gossip ... :)

Put one in each capsule on the London Eye, where they can revolve around like a sushi bar, to be picked off by the red braces brigade as they quaff their 25th crate of Krug...

Back