Intern or work experience with a bloodstock agent.

CountryLife

At the Start
I've been working in the horse industry for a number of years now, mainly in the breeding side of things and sales prep etc. Due to a recent knee injury I will have to take extended leave from the physical side of the horse industry and I am seeking to get an internship or work experience with a bloodstock agent/agency.

Do any members on here know of such people that I should contact in relation to working alongside a person that is a good mentor and is generally willing to share some of their knowledge or know of an agent/agency that would be willing to let me accompany them to sales around the world? I am willing to pay my own expenses.

I understand and know a lot about conformation, form book, stallions etc so |I am not totally green.

I would suggest Miesque is the person best placed to comment on this. Other than that I would just write to as many agents as possible. I know a fair few of them having worked for one for a year (won't recommend him though!) and having been around the sales for years. You'll get a lot who say no but someone might need an extra hand during the sales especially the larger sales when there are huge books to get through.

The Darley scheme is seriously difficult to get on - only 12 places per year I think.

You would need to be physically fit to take part in the Darley scheme, and it is extremely difficult to get in. I am not saying you couldn't but it is very hard. I would just write to everyone in the directory of turf, and try some in France/Eire too. Might be worth asking the sales houses if they would take you on. Good luck.

Back