Ireland - Trainer Changes

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
What are the rules on running a horse after it's switched yards?

I noticed in the 3:15 that Maire Bhridin ran for Conor Magner (presumably the owners husband) when winning the Mares Maiden at Quakerstown on Monday. Today she contests the 2m 4f Handicap Hurdle at Fairyhouse for Michael Hourigan.

I don't know about Ireland (or the UK for that matter) but over here there is something about 2 weeks. I reckon it may be, it has to be in your yard for 2 weeks if you've bought it from the sales, but if it's got an outstanding entry and an owner changes trainers you can run it. But, then again, I'm sure I remember Ursis running having just been bought...let me check.

Edited to add: Oh no, bought on 1st Feb and won Grade 2 Novices' Chase at Wincanton on 17th Feb, so just over 2 weeks, so maybe I'm right about that one. I'm sure someone will know...

Last edited:
In UK, a horse can run straight from a yard despite having been in another one the day before SO LONG as the yards the horse has been in is a licensed yard. In that case there is no 2 week rule - only if the yard is owners or livery yard for example and isn't HRA licenced.

In UK, a horse can run straight from a yard despite having been in another one the day before SO LONG as the yards the horse has been in is a licensed yard. In that case there is no 2 week rule - only if the yard is owners or livery yard for example and isn't HRA licenced.

Pretty similar here.

Back